diy solar

diy solar

opinion on BMS and RS485 to wireless converter

bobswagger

Hi

I got my hands on a Chinese Non-brand Server battery rated for 8kwh . it looks similar to jakiper battery . However I have no documentation or any accessories (cables) whatsoever. I opened the case and it has a BMS similar to other batteries. I was told that it has a port to communication for standard inverters (growatt and victron)
1.jpg

asd.jpg

Sadly my Inverter doesnot have RS485 port to confirm. However I am a DIY guy with fair knowledge in electronics and programming .

My goal is to monitor the battery SOC , Cell Voltages and general information to take care of my battery . either by desinging something based on arduino or ESP32 , or buy a solution it if it exist .

My questions are:
1. Are these BMS's (Jakipar , Sepoles , SOK , etc...) better than JBD / JK / DALY if not , should I get the latter ?
2. Anyway to get Communication pinout and protocol ? (are they similar in all battery brands ?)
3. Is there a product on market today (LCD , OR bluetooth dongle) that connect to these batteries RS485 port and provide this information for the user ?

thanks in advance

I guess the first thing I'd do is figure out what kind of interface port that BMS has on it. Could be CAN bus, RS485, RS232 serial, I2C, etc...

On your questions...

1. Seplos for example sells both a CAN bus BMS and an RS485 BMS (for inverter comms), compatibility is very hit/miss, as there are too many vendors doing too many different protocols. You have to research what your inverter (or BMS bluetooth monitoring app) needs, and shop for a BMS you know can support the comms. Not a straightforward thing with some simple recipe.

2. Only the manufacturer of the BMS can tell you what comm types they can do, or you have to figure it out (reverse engineer it). There are 2 layers too. There is hardware protocol on the wire (CAN bus, RS485, RS232 serial, etc), and then the commands language going over the top of that (like Pylontech, WECO, Soltaro, Lib protocol, etc).

3. There isn't one standard method of communication, so it is all based on doing homework and research to figure out from manufacturer documentation and other users reviews, and find equipment and software that can interoperate...

What inverter do you have? I haven't seen to many wifi options available for BMSs... Would you want a bluetooth type connection to it?

Hi

I got my hands on a Chinese Non-brand Server battery rated for 8kwh . it looks similar to jakiper battery . However I have no documentation or any accessories (cables) whatsoever. I opened the case and it has a BMS similar to other batteries. I was told that it has a port to communication for standard inverters (growatt and victron)
View attachment 104931

View attachment 104932

Sadly my Inverter doesnot have RS485 port to confirm. However I am a DIY guy with fair knowledge in electronics and programming .

My goal is to monitor the battery SOC , Cell Voltages and general information to take care of my battery . either by desinging something based on arduino or ESP32 , or buy a solution it if it exist .

My questions are:
1. Are these BMS's (Jakipar , Sepoles , SOK , etc...) better than JBD / JK / DALY if not , should I get the latter ?
2. Anyway to get Communication pinout and protocol ? (are they similar in all battery brands ?)
3. Is there a product on market today (LCD , OR bluetooth dongle) that connect to these batteries RS485 port and provide this information for the user ?

thanks in advance
Can you share full image of the battery, I think i have a battery like this.

Back