diy solar

diy solar

Opinions on all in one system and sizing

ronlyng

Hello,
5 years ago I installed a 100KW home system. Outback off grid and since then have sold that residence.
Seems I forgotten everything I learned and everything is changing.
I want to put together a small system and just needed some advice on equipment choices and If I have the sizing correctly.
Seems the all in one systems are reliable but has high idle consumption.

20-30KW per day usage
3.3 hours of sun average
Battery storage for 1 day
Will have Gen backup

Inverter requirements:
48V
120/240 option each unit
6KW inverter
8KW solar
Generator capable
Grid assist capable

Equipment:

2 ea. HYBRID LV6048 6kW Split Phase 120V/240V- 2 x 80MPPT Inputs (8Kw Solar)

4 ea. SOK Battery | 100Ah 48v 5120 watts (20480)

16KW solar panels
combiner

If I'm using 30KW daily plus charging 20KW of batteries I will need to produce 50KW
50KW /3.3 Hrs per day is 15KW solar array

One Sol-Ark 8K would probably do everything you need but if it was me I would just spend a bit more cash and get the 12K.
I don't know how far north you live but 10-12KW worth of panels should be more than adequate.
four SOK 48V batteries will compliment the system nicely.

Onel- SoArk 8K would probably do everything you need but if it was me I would just spend a bit more cash and get the 12K.
I don't know how far north you live but 10-12KW worth of panels should be more than adequate.
four SOK 48V batteries will compliment the system nicely.

Looks like the solark only supports 11KW solar input and price is $6000. Any reason not to use LV6048

solar
Looks like the solark only supports 11KW solar input
If I recall, that 11kW is the total of the DC coupled through the internal inverter and the AC coupled solar which is essentially pass through. My Outback Skybox can handle 6 kW DC coupled solar and another 7 kW AC coupled solar and the price is about $3500. To get the best value today with a Hybrid inverter one has to really understand the details. There are also other options, each of which have their own pros and cons.

Looks like the solark only supports 11KW solar input and price is $6000. Any reason not to use LV6048
I would get the 12K if that is the issue as it can handle 13KW of PV.
The main reason for getting the Sol-Ark would be it's ability to do power blending from all the sources you mentioned. It can add PV power with battery power and Generator power or Grid Power to the final output power.
It allows full control of what the Inverter will do based on what you want it to do at any particular time of the day or night including how to charge the batteries and what to use at specific times or voltage levels.
Also that $6K gives you one hell of a customer service system. You can reach a technician 24/7 and they will help you with issues or log into your inverter and help you customize it.

You can certainly use the LV6048 if your budget is an issue but it will lack a lot of the flexibility that you say you need.

If your PV array is not planned,(For example, East to West facing) the Sol-Ark 8K can handle up to 13kW of PV assuming the Voc is under 500V and Isc under <=21A.
On the 12K it is up to 16.5kW if the array is spread out.

On the 12K it is up to 16.5kW if the array is spread out.
Can you please clarify what you mean by this? The data sheet says 13kW max, what do you mean spread out?
I'm trying to size an inverter and need at least 14.4kW support.
Thanks!

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? The data sheet says 13kW max, what do you mean spread out?
I'm trying to size an inverter and need at least 14.4kW support.
Thanks!
He means like putting an array on the East or West side of the House that only gets morning or late evening power.

If I'm using 30KW daily plus charging 20KW of batteries I will need to produce 50KW
50KW /3.3 Hrs per day is 15KW solar array

Just to clarify, you are using 50kwh per 24 hours? Or are you using 30kwh of which 20kwh is battery usage? If you need to produce 50kwh per day to keep the batteries full, then you are using 50kwh a day :)

Just to clarify, you are using 50kwh per 24 hours? Or are you using 30kwh of which 20kwh is battery usage? If you need to produce 50kwh per day to keep the batteries full, then you are using 50kwh a day :)
I had to read that twice myself, wondering if I missed something...

Back