diy solar

diy solar

Opinions on Solaria 400w panel for van? Options for additional "skinny" panels?

blutow

Solar Enthusiast
I've got no experience with solar, but I'm designing a system for a van and looking at the following panel:

data sheet:

That panel will fit well behind my AC unit. I also have around 16 inches on either side of my front fan I would like to add additional panels if possible. These zamp panels are the right size, but very expensive and I don't really know if they could be combined with the larger panel.

I'm using a victron 100/50 solar charger and will have ~14kwh of battery capacity, so I'd like to max out my roof space.

Any opinions on the solaria 400w panel? I assume it's OK to use a residential panel as long as I mount it securely? Any thoughts on the zamp panels or something similar size and whether I can mix all these panels together?

Thanks for any feedback.

Those little panels will work great... with Victron 100/20 controller. Unfortunately, you could not combine those two different panels - without losing huge amounts of power- which I am sure is NOT the goal.

if just one big panel - look at Victron 100/30. That will handle 440watts@12v - so save the money. (The saved money may pay for most of the 100/20).

As far as big panels on a vehicle. My understanding is it can be done, but may not be recommended. One panel will have more glass bouncing and flexing going down the road. I read somewhere that 200watt panels were the largest size “someone” recommended on vehicles.

Those Zamp panels are so expensive, I would keep looking for some others that might fit. I am sure there are others out there.

Good Luck

Back