diy solar

diy solar

Opinions please on small project

ballcoach16

I am relatively new to solar. I currently have an RPS WaterSecure 6k-800 (8x100w panels and 8x55ah 12v AGM batteries) grid-tied and powering my deep well (which is on the south end of my house) I have recently converted a carport to a screened cookhouse/poolhouse on the complete other side of my property and I have no power to it yet. I want to be able to power my smoker, run 4-5 LED light strips, a fan, and couple of power outlets for random stuff like charging cell phones, radios, etc. I don't necessarily need continuous power to the poolhouse, just when we are using in.

I was going back and forth between a more traditional inverter/charger/battery bank setup similar to what I have in the wellhouse (see option 1) OR a solar generator kit (option 2 or 3). I'm leaning towards the generator option because it does offer a better level of quick portability if needed. My budget is around $2500 for this project. My longer term plans also include acquiring a travel trailer in 2-4 years and prepping for power loss should the S ever HTF. I was wondering what more experienced solar users think between the two options.

Option 1
MPPT 2424LV Solar Inverter
4x100 watt solar panels
SOK 12v 100ah batteries X 2

Option 2
Bluetti AC200P 2000w Generator Kit w 4x100 panels

Option 3
Bluetti EB240 2400w Generator Kit w 2x200 panels

I would go option 1 with 6x250 panels.

Hybrid LV2424 $700 shipped
x6 Santan Solar 250w panels $400 shipped
Batteries (24v 100ah whatever flavor you decide) $1000
$400 mounting/wiring/misc.

Run the panels 3S2P so you don't need a breakers/combiner box, aim 3 panels South East and 3 panels South West to extend your day. You should get 750w out of the panels for an extended time that way. If you can swing the combiner box and breakers in the $400 bucket, run the panels 2S3P with 2 South East, 2 South, 2 South West. Or if going on the roof, just slap all six in the best direction you can. During the say you should have 1kwh continuous, and when the sun starts to set you would have 2kwh of battery.

I don't like the Bluetti because the MPPT inputs sucks (500w/73VOC/10AISC), but as you mentioned it is very portable.

Back