diy solar

diy solar

Opinions wanted, 48v truck camper setup

I guess the only items that would need to be 60v rated would be everything from the Mppts to the inverter right?(breakers fuses etc).... if the inverter/mppt's take a shit im up shits creek anyways right? so having a back up breakers/fuses items of that nature would be smart to have on hand.
Fuse Battery to busbar. Any shutoffs.
Fuse between Busbar and mppts
Fuse Busbar to inverter.

You are right that the lower amperage part is the MPPTs. Usually 30 or 40 amps. Options are mbrf, midi, or there may be a littelfuse mega 58v someone linked recently.

I had a 48v DC aircon as well (hotspot mini split), which was 30amp fused.

Unless the cable run is long, the components and labor time outweigh the savings, I reckon.

And yes, very likely camper stuff can all run on 24v, including fridges and inverter. Cheap 24-12 if needed for some things that don’t run on 24v. Can then do alternator charging as well (12-24).

Well I suppose that it would be hard to argue the 48v route at this point. In a 5th wheel (38-45ft) It would make more sense but in a truck camper Jameshowison mentioned the runs really aren't going to be that long. Thank you gentleman, Ill see what I like that's in the 24v nominal realm.

any suggestions on MPPT's or Inverters would be appreciated. Maybe a trusted source for cells.

FWIW 250V DC breakers are cheap and easy to get, common at 16, 32 and 63 amps.

One example:

I have a bunch of the C65H-DC breakers in use, sometimes they even send me the Schneider brand name ones.

Handy for solar panel disconnect switches etc. so I always have them on hand. Can mount them on a small piece of DIN rail almost anywhere.
Yeah, those are great. For 48v I used DIN mounted midnite MNEPV breakers. Pretty much every amp rating.

I did find two flipped after a bumpy ride, so while having a disconnect and a fuse together is cool, I wonder if din mounted breakers are top notch in bouncy vehicles.

Back