diy solar

diy solar

Option for DC Breaker enclosure?

rhino

Solar Wizard
What are the options for nice DC din rail breaker enclosures? Would like something that looks nice and for multiple PV inputs, battery disconnect, etc. This is for next to inverter, charge controllers, etc. and planned to use Midnite DC breakers (since already have some from existing system). System will be 48V battery bank with up to 300V PV input.

Currently have one of the large old Outback DC/AC breaker panel that is running my current system but going to leave that alone and use it as the backup to this new system.

Finding the "perfect" enclosure seems like it is often the hardest part. Best I can off is Bud.
But, it could be an excuse to finally buy that 3D printer too. ;)

I used a 6” X 6“ IP67 box to enclose a single breaker for a 12 volt system and the was very tight for the wiring. I could fit a few more breAkers in it, but the holes had to be drilled perfectly to fit the wires in. With a 6” wide box, I only had an inch or an inch and a half between the wall and the breaker. The six gauge wire going into the two pole breaker was very stiff, so the holes had to be good.

On a separate string I used a much bigger Midnite solar Combiner box that came with a DIN rail for six single pole circuit breakers or or four dual pole circuit pole circuit breakers.

Of the two I mentioned, I doubt the first IP67 box is rated to actually hold a circuit breaker. The Midnite Solar is a quality box, but I could not use it outside because I needed to lie it flat and the box would have leaked. If I could have kept the Midnite Solar combiner vertical, it would have been fine.

I got a used returned NEMA4 box that was returned by a customer, ordered up a bunch of parts and voila
Can you tell me about the breaker on the right after everything is combined? Looks like two circuit breakers, each dual pole, that you decided to only use one pole on. Why would that be?

Can you tell me about the breaker on the right after everything is combined? Looks like two circuit breakers, each dual pole, that you decided to only use one pole on. Why would that be?
I over engineered it. The single breakers are 15 Amp and the combined ones are 80 Amps as that's all that my All-in-one Growatt can handle.

For indoor use i use standard switchboard din rail enclosures, pick the right size to house all your components.

Attachments

• 52B4B7D9-E426-4BAC-A510-1EEB8F66D4D2.jpeg
    52B4B7D9-E426-4BAC-A510-1EEB8F66D4D2.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 27
I got a used returned NEMA4 box that was returned by a customer, ordered up a bunch of parts and voila
What is that split lug feeding the dual pol breaker? I've looked on google but can't find anything.

I got a used returned NEMA4 box that was returned by a customer, ordered up a bunch of parts and voilaView attachment 26172

All looks great, except, I say that if those are individual polarized breakers will fail to interrupt backfeed current if a string gets shorted.
If polarized, I think they need to be ganged, so when one trips they all turn off.

Back