diy solar

diy solar

Order of operations for turning on and off system?

Kyle_E

Just completed the installation of my system. Did not blow up, did not start a fire!! Everything works, thanks to Will for putting out the great videos and making me feel comfortable spending the $ to install it.

Straightforward system. 24 V Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM, EG4 24V Battery (connected via the ethernet BMS Lithium setting) and a 450 Watt panel on the roof of the RV and a PV disconnect switch between that and the inverter. 10/3 ext cord out of the inverter to a 15 to 30 amp dog bone to the shore power input on the RV.

Ok here is what I am doing on startup. Plug in RV, turn on battery, turn on inverter, wait for inverter to start, turn on PV.
On disconnect. Turn off PV, turn off inverter, turn off battery, unplug RV.
Is this the way I should be doing it?

Close enough.

I would tend to turn on: Battery, Inverter, Solar, Plug in (if available).
Reverse order for storage: Unplug, Solar off, Inverter off, Battery off.

I have separate components. Battery, controller, solar are never disconnected unless for service. Inverter is on as needed. Plugged in only if needed.

If by "plug in RV" you are referring to shore power then I would do that last, not first. Get the whole system up before you plug in shore power.

Then on disconnect you would unplug shore power first, not last.

Your posted order of operations looks good. I would consider adding a precharge circuit for the inverter.

If by "plug in RV" you are referring to shore power then I would do that last, not first. Get the whole system up before you plug in shore power.

Then on disconnect you would unplug shore power first, not last.
I wouldnt plug/unplug the cord "hot". I don't even do that with a pedestal. Pedestal breaker verified off, plug cord, turn pedestal breaker on, turn my shore disconnect on. He didn't mention anything about a shore disconnect though. I don't understand why he doesn't wire the inverter direct to the breaker box. Does his growatt not have an AC in?

I use a AIO on my camper. Battery connection must be first on my unit the sequence afterwards is not particularly important. Repeatedly unplugging the power cord while under load will damage the plug and receptacle.

I wouldnt plug/unplug the cord "hot". I don't even do that with a pedestal. Pedestal breaker verified off, plug cord, turn pedestal breaker on, turn my shore disconnect on. He didn't mention anything about a shore disconnect though. I don't understand why he doesn't wire the inverter direct to the breaker box. Does his growatt not have an AC in?

Yeah, I always plug/unplug without power to it when hooking to a pedestal so thought I should carry that forward to the solar system.

No real reason not to wire direct to the box on the RV. Came down to simplicity of drilling one hole in the wheel well 10 inches away from the inverter and using a dogbone, vs fishing wire through, under, over, around, up and down run of about 20 feet (through multiple cabinets and a wall) to get to the box.

Back