diy solar

diy solar

Order of Wire Lugs For Inverter, Charge Controller to Battery?

rcnjstudent

Just need a quick confirmation on this as I've seen a few YouTube videos that were conflicting to what I thought I had read online on the proper way of doing this. If I wanted to attach both my charge controller and inverter to the battery at the same time so I could conceivably charge and use it at the same time, I thought I would have to connect the wiring from the Charge Controller to the Battery Terminal first, then attach the Inverter wiring lug on top of the lug for the Charge Controller that would be on the bottom directly touching the battery terminal. I've seen a few videos where people have done the opposite. Which order is the right way to do this? Does it not matter?

I would attach the highest current carrying lug on the base of the stack to have the best and most direct contact with the battery terminal.
This would generally put the inverter at the base of the stack.

I would attach the highest current carrying lug on the base of the stack to have the best and most direct contact with the battery terminal.
This would generally put the inverter at the base of the stack.
Great thanks!

Many of us also use some thing like this one. I get mine off of Amazon. Pike Industries 400 amp busbar with 5/16" studs. It gives you some more options and room for expansion. Especially if you're running out of room on a 6mm cell terminal.

Just need a quick confirmation on this as I've seen a few YouTube videos that were conflicting to what I thought I had read online on the proper way of doing this. If I wanted to attach both my charge controller and inverter to the battery at the same time so I could conceivably charge and use it at the same time, I thought I would have to connect the wiring from the Charge Controller to the Battery Terminal first, then attach the Inverter wiring lug on top of the lug for the Charge Controller that would be on the bottom directly touching the battery terminal. I've seen a few videos where people have done the opposite. Which order is the right way to do this? Does it not matter?

Who goes first that's a good question. I do know, the inverter makes a fat spark when you hook it up those capacitors and that spark I cant see doing anything good for the charge controller even if it might not do anything bad.

so I could conceivably charge

Conceivably is everything, think it out.

Back