diy solar

diy solar

Ordered 4 cells 280ah From Shenzhen Basen, CN

Parallel charge them. They'll balance in the process. No need for a separate operation.

Equalize or equilibrate, balance?
Whatever you want to call it I guess....? I am behind hooking up my 8 cells in parallel. I am going to do the same as you. I plan to let them sit a day or two before I hook up my power supply. Then charge in steps. I know this step probably isn't necessary but I feel better about it and it can do no harm.

I had to order some wire from amazon for the power supply. Wire will be here today and I will be testing my power supply on my Valence batteries before I hook it up to the cells. 8awg is what's needed according to the wire gauge calculator if charging to 3.6 volts using using 2 feet of wire....? The voltage drop is only 1%. I ordered 12awg wire and if I double it up I will have an effective 9AWG...I think that will be good. I can use fork terminals on my power supply along with banana plugs. I am going to try to solder the wires to the fork terminals. I have ring terminals for attaching to the battery....that part will be easy.

Power supply turned on before connecting to cells?
The instructions to my power supply are in an unknown language.

Not sure. I have a Riden supply and for charging the output button is supposed to be turned on after connecting. I am sure it's explained in Will's video. I would turn the supply on and set the voltage/current. Then turn off. Connect to the cells. Then turn it on and see how things look.

Exactly why it was mentioned.
Read on this forum, have not found the thread yet, looking for it, that magic smoke can be had by not turning the power supply on first.
Of course that might only be for the Value power supply's that us thrifty souls would purchase.

This ain't your gramma's fine china. Just hook everything up in parallel, turn on that POS power supply of yours, crank the current all the way up, set voltage at 4V and check it in a few hours. You'll have to tune target voltage near the end of charging, but you can get there faster by raising the voltage (cheating/impatient) until you get close to target V. Watch the video.

You're going to need a day to bring 280ah up 3/10ths. I will be cheating when mine arrive, and dumping 5 or 8 volts at max current til i get close. 280ah is a ton of capacity.

Exactly why it was mentioned.
Read on this forum, have not found the thread yet, looking for it, that magic smoke can be had by not turning the power supply on first.
Of course that might only be for the Value power supply's that us thrifty souls would purchase.
Yeah...I see Will had his power supply turned on when he connected to the cells.

I'm charging individual LTO cells one at a time because they're low SOC, then I'll passively balance all simultaneously. Takes about 5hrs to go from 2.30 to 2.475 per 40ah cell with my PSU.

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_142501_01.jpg
    IMG_20201013_142501_01.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 9
I'm charging individual LTO cells one at a time because they're low SOC, then I'll passively balance all simultaneously. Takes about 5hrs to go from 2.30 to 2.475 per 40ah cell with my PSU.
Considered buying LTO, what did you throw for the set?
Buy 6, use 5 right?
Hopefully the battery heater works out for these cells.

Hopefully the battery heater works out for these cells.
I didn't get one of those. I probably should have and if I run into a problem with less capacity I will. There have been very few that have received cells with less capacity than advertised and those could be questionable at this point. Whenever I decide on the inverter, I will test the capacity using the inverter. I am taking this very slow....lol.

Would like to try LTO, however still do not have my solar set up the way it should be.
Wiring, switches and fuses, oh my.
balancing cells.JPG

Just a joke. But I'd bump it up cuz I'm impatient. I'm going to dump current into mine as fast as i can at a few volts higher to get the most out if the psu without damaging the cells. The catch is that you have to keep an eye on it then start backing off the voltage the closer it gets to target voltage so you don't kill the cells. You can walk away from your settings without doing anything, but as you get closer to target voltage, i suspect you'll have to raise the psu voltage a bit due to variations in the psu. My psu shows 2.8/9 to get 2.475 at the cell. My psu is about 1/4 volt off to the low side. Cheap chicom stuff.

Back