diy solar

diy solar

Ordered 4 cells 280ah From Shenzhen Basen, CN

Once current is as high as the PS can provide, extra voltage is pointless. And if you aren’t in the room when the pack hits “the knee” at about 3.4v you can bulge a cell in less than 15mins above about 3.7v, more or less. The higher the charge voltage the faster it happens and the worse the damage.

Had not heard of bulging a cell before, thanks, sounds painful and expensive.
At camp here, we do not rush quality.

Will taught me everything I know :)

I'd check with him how high you can go with voltage though, that is something i do not know for certain. My intuition tells me i would be safe to max out the PSU V and I, but my lack of knowledge on high-tech lithium chemistries would have me be less ambitious out of fear of the unknown. To me, i would think dumping 30 volts and 10 amps would be safe under the max charge voltage for the chemistry. So long as you don't overshoot the max charge voltage and start dialing it down as you get closer to it, i would think that would be ok. I take no responsibility for your stuff though lol

Once current is as high as the PS can provide, extra voltage is pointless. And if you aren’t in the room when the pack hits “the knee” at about 3.4v you can bulge a cell in less than 15mins above about 3.7v, more or less. The higher the charge voltage the faster it happens and the worse the damage.
Right but my current increases as i start dialing up the voltage.

Configuration for capacity check, can I leave it as is, parallel, or should it be changed to the 12v configuration for the test?

In top balancing you only need to set PSU about 0.1-0.2v over the voltage of the cells to move a lot of current. Lifepo appetite for charge is huge and internal resistance is really low. The manufacturer never goes above 3.65, and they charge at 1C, 280 amps per cell.

Configuration for capacity check, can I leave it as is, parallel, or should it be changed to the 12v configuration for the test?
Capacity check you'd have to find something that runs at 3.6v. If you mean voltage check, pull psu leads, check in parallel.

Either works, but I prefer to do it as a pack since that’s how it gets used. You get a slightly lower number as a pack because the cells aren’t perfectly matched, but I haven’t found the difference to matter IRL, maybe 1-2AH. Just don’t be disappointed if the pack comes in a little lower than the cells.

Or put them in series, right. Sorry, I'm driving.
That would be fine too but I wouldn't do it without the BMS connected. One would have to watch the voltage of each cell because over discharge could be a concern. With the BMS connected and the LVD set to 10 volts it would be fine. Also one could test the capacity of each cell which would probably be a good idea if connecting cells in parallel to make a pack. Having matched cells in parallel, or as close as possible matched wouldn't hurt.

Yes, likely will put them how they are planned to be used, in series.
Also, found the link to top balancing cells.
RJ copied that information from Nordkyn Design. Permission was not asked to use it and this was confirmed by the author. Nordkyn has useful articles on their website. The information RJ copied from follows:

Read the article about balancing cells.
Lowered the voltage to 3.4V
I have time, want to get the most out of these cells.

A few mV off doesn't concern me. So you get 23 instead of 25 years out of the cell. Who cares. You're going to get hit by a bus before then anyway.

A few mV off doesn't concern me. So you get 23 instead of 25 years out of the cell. Who cares. You're going to get hit by a bus before then anyway.
Maybe, want to give these cells a good test.
Also, not going on vacation until December, do not want to rush quality.

Maybe, want to give these cells a good test.
Also, not going on vacation until December, do not want to rush quality.
I agree with you. I am not going to take a chance on bloating one of my cells and that's why I will charge in steps. I will charge to 3.4, then 3.5, then 3.55 or 3.6. and consider it done. In addition I will not be relying solely on the power supply readings. I will be taking readings at the cells with a meter. I have plenty of time....no need for anyone to rush things.

I agree with you. I am not going to take a chance on bloating one of my cells and that's why I will charge in steps. I will charge to 3.4, then 3.5, then 3.55 or 3.6. and consider it done. In addition I will not be relying solely on the power supply readings. I will be taking readings at the cells with a meter. I have plenty of time....no need for anyone to rush things.
The cells should be periodically checked, balanced, proper charged, etc. as well. Exert some effort into maintaining them just as you would with regular vehicle maintenance and you'll be just fine. Things last for as long as you take care of them.

So how many more weeks on the charger til you're full? :)
Hard telling not knowing.
Only on PS (abbreviation lingo so I look like I know what is going on) during the time I'm awake and watching.
Hint, the amps are getting smaller, oh my. Also, Power Supply leads are pretty skimpy, don't want heat.

Back