diy solar

diy solar

Orion Jr BMS - can't get access through the Cerbo GX via Canbus adapter

Boondock Saint

Solar Enthusiast
Hello all,

The only way I can currently access the Orion BMS JR is via a rs-232 to USB cable. But I need to access this via LAN and through the Victron Cerbo GX.

An ethernet cable goes from my router to the Victron Cerbo GX, and I am able to access this and updated FW etc. On the Cerbo there are two BMS RJ-45 ports and one is used, the other has a terminator in it as directed. The Cerbo does not show any BMS or batt voltage.

An ethernet cable is connected between the BMS ethernet port on the Cerbo and goes to the ASI canbus adapter. The Can HIGH and LOW from the BMS are connected to pins 7 and 8 per the engineer who designed the system. I have no extra resistors connected anywhere as this was never part of the design conversation or supplies provided. I have a support call into ASI for information about the pinout to confirm the selection but they haven't replied.

According to EWERT / ORION once I load a profile into the BMS JR via USB cable it should then be able to talk via canbus, but it doesn't.

Victron doesn't know anything about this configuration or dependency. I don't see anything to configure in the Victron software to enable canbus.

Does anyone have a similar setup or have ideas about why I can't connect via Canbus and all I get is the " no canbus found" ?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• NONE FOUND.JPG
    NONE FOUND.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 8
Turns out this was 2 different problems, 1) The Orion BMS JR needed the proper settings in the profile uploaded to the device and 2) the Orion Utility installed in Windows can't be seen on the LAN as in the pic, because the Cerbo GX BMS input is only the CAN-high and CAN-low and it doesn't pass this information on to the desktop app. It just reads the bits and displays in the Victron VRM Portal and Remote Control page.

In order to program the BMS you must connect via a rs-232 to USB cable. The good news is that once you have a workable profile, you'll not need to connect to it.

Once you upload the proper config to the Orion BMS it reboots and just instamagically shows up on the Cerbo GX Touchscreen.

Thanks to Cinergi or saving the day here for me and thanks to Andrew Ewert @ Ewert Energy Systems for his awesome support efforts this week.

Attachments

• ORION BMS CANBUS SETTINGS.JPG
    ORION BMS CANBUS SETTINGS.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 23
  • ORION BMS SEEN IN CERBO GX REMOTE CONSOLE.JPG
    ORION BMS SEEN IN CERBO GX REMOTE CONSOLE.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 20
  • ORION BMS SEEN IN CERBO GX VRM.JPG
    ORION BMS SEEN IN CERBO GX VRM.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
Back