diy solar

diy solar

Orion Jr. BMS "Charge Power Source"

rhino

Solar Wizard
The Orion Jr. (Orig) BMS has both a "Ready Power Source" and "Charge Power Source". The manual describes them as:

Ready Power Source: This is the primary power source for the Orion Jr. BMS unit. This power source can be thought of as the “ignition” power source when the BMS is used in mobile applications. When power is present at this source, the BMS will allow both normal charge and discharge. When powered only by this power source (i.e. charge power is not present), the BMS will not engage the charger safety output (usually used to control a battery charger) and will not allow cell balancing.
Charge Power Source: This power source should be energized when the battery is in a defined charging phase such as being fully charged by an AC battery charger. When power is present at this pin, the BMS will enter charging mode, which enables cell balancing and enables the charger safety signal output. For most applications, this is used when the BMS is in a defined charging phase from AC power. Because of this, CHARGE power is normally provided by a small AC / DC power adapter powered off the mains.
Since this is for a stationary system would I just connect the Charge Power Source directly to the battery bank just like the Ready Power Source is? I don't see the point of using AC/DC adapter after inverter in stationary system like this.

Last edited:
I asked Orion and did get a reply:
In stationary applications such as solar energy storage, it is fairly common to power the BMS using the Charge Power input rather than the Ready Power input. That puts the BMS into charge mode which enables balancing.

Great info, thank you! I have dry fit my Orion JR2 BMS and have been wondering about working around the charge/discharge as I'm inching along with my system.

Back