diy solar

diy solar

Other Vehicles

teal95

Solar Enthusiast
I've seen plenty of threads about Leaf and Tesla batteries. What about the other hybrid vehicles that might be found in a junkyard. Would any of them be usable? Different battery chemistries???

Ford Escape, CMax, Fusion
Chrysler minivan
GM ...

Could be availability of packs at the time, and the ease of breakdown/reconfiguration (if they use welded busbars vs bolted it makes it much harder to reconfigure the packs into a 48V one, for example).

A couple of years ago the local JY where I grew up had an Escape hybrid and I've thought about it occasionally since. I've known the family that owns the JY since I was a kid and they like me and would probably be pretty cooperative if I wanted parts from it.

Take a look at batteryhookup.com.
They have various EV/Hybrids batteries.

I've seen CMax cells sold and used in DIY packs before.

I've seen plenty of threads about Leaf and Tesla batteries. What about the other hybrid vehicles that might be found in a junkyard. Would any of them be usable? Different battery chemistries???

Ford Escape,

Lord no. NiMH is not a viable option. You can't safely parallel NiMH cells.

CMax, Fusion

Only the Energi versions (PHEV). The standard hybrid cells are wee tiny.

Chrysler minivan
GM ...

Lord no. NiMH is not a viable option. You can't safely parallel NiMH cells and the GM's absolutely destroy their batteries.

Ultimately, it will cost you less money and time to DIY LFP cells.

Good result with Ford Fusion Energy cells. I build a 7S 6P battery.
The energy density is poor and each cells is only 24ah, but the price are generally low.

14S is perfect. 12S is lower capacity and higher current.
Ok, I'm with you, 14S is perfect for a 48V inverter. Still, 12S will work well and as I test the 45Ah Volt Gen1 cells at 650A discharge, I know they can output serious power.
Yeah, power is not always relevant for solar system, but price is and those Volt battery often come ''cheap''.

Back