diy solar

diy solar

Our NEW GO-TO LiFePO4 vendor...09.20.21

Different brand, EVE 304Ah and CATL 302Ah, usually EVE 304Ah will reach to 320Ah, and CATL 302Ah will reach to 310Ah.

Agree - with a slight caveat -- after about 10 full DoD cycles really pushing them they will settle down to their right Ah listed specs and stay there for the next decade ... or at least thats what i have found on the first few 1000 that i have done .... LOL

How do I know they are actually "EVE" cells? There is nothing that indicates manufacture.

1. to answer your question about why weight is important -- Stored ENERGY within specific mediums has a specific weight .. This means that overall - and depending on manufacturer - a certain 280Ah from a certain manufacturer should weigh X .. as should the 200, etc etc ... for every battery manufacturer we use and every associated AH, my techs will randomly weigh batteries to see if they are in that range or not ... if they are LIGHT on the scale then they will come up short (I guarantee you) in the rated AH capacity .. if they are heavy - well you kinda hit the bonus round ....

Unfortunately I can't share that info because its got proprietary stuff all over it from my company -- BUT if you reach out directly to EVE or CATL or THE manufacturer and ask for that spec sheet they will email it to you (pdf) usually very quickly ...

To answer your question there are a few ways to tell if its an EVE or CATL but it involves 10's of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, 2 sheep, and a bottle of tequila. Personally I would just go with saying they are what you ordered BUT the most important thing is doing the capacity tests ...

The capacity test - (and the IR test in a small way) - will tell you what the insides look like ... you could have a battery that looks fine and has the new car smell but could have been dropped hard on its side and the plates have changed zipcodes within the container ... the battery will probably function -- like a truck with a bad fuel injector -- it will work but not the way you wish ....

slight correction - it was one sheep and one goat ....

99 CATL cells on the wall.. 99 CATL cells.. ?

thanks for sharing insights on how to approach these “medium/large” format cells (~200-300 in my head)

thanks to the multitude of advice around the forum, i finally decided to build a 4S pack with 280Ah studded cells.

cheers

230ah Got part of the order today. IR looking good and voltage / charge rate looking good. Doing a discharge test tonight. Will order more if they have them.

Ok ... I ordered "EVE" 230Ah cells on Saturday from the TX warehouse, Arrived today. Here is what I got. (so I do not hijack this thread)

How do I know they are actually "EVE" cells? There is nothing that indicates manufacture.
Received half my order today. Same results as you. They came with welded studs! Yay! So far I'm very happy. :)

Big thanks to @ghostwriter66 for introducing us to this vendor!

Also big thanks to @Jenny Wu for great, fast customer service!

to answer your question about why weight is important ...
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Good info. As to weight, not really sure what they should weigh or if the ranges I am seeing are wildly hi and low ... or about right.

New LFP 230ah cells.JPG

50 days? I hope you're right. I'm at 101 days and still asking for tracking information and where my stuff is. I'm in Ohio. Since you're in Cali I would expect you'll get your stuff about a week faster since it doesn't have to ship ground across the USA. Good luck.
I have a order in also with Amy Wan at Luyuan for 8 cells 105ah, ordered on 9/7/2021 with a guesstimate of arrival 50-60 days with a supplied tracking number. So far no info returned on tracking number, guess this will start to show up when they clear customs? Ordering, communication with Amy Wan was good and very prompt. Just waiting game now to see when they arrive. This was thru Alibaba and Paypal transaction.

Jenny:
Forgive me for my comment, I did not realize exactly the main topic of this thread. My mistake.

50 days? I hope you're right. I'm at 101 days and still asking for tracking information and where my stuff is. I'm in Ohio. Since you're in Cali I would expect you'll get your stuff about a week faster since it doesn't have to ship ground across the USA. Good luck.

Did you ever get your batteries .... In all my days of doig this the longest i have hit is right at 72 ... At 75 days I would be canceling the order with my CC company ... AND if you still don't have any tracking info AND you still want to keep the order then ask them for THEIR tracking info -- it should show at this point which boat its on and where that boat is ... BUT honestly 111 days - EJECT EJECT EJECT ... JUST to be fair -- right now the PORT of LAX has 514,322 containers waiting to be off loaded ... we have had some pipeline stuff sitting in the port for almost a month waiting to get in to get it unloaded .... THATS why I think if DONCAN can figure out how to stay ahead of the inventory they will do great ... but its ppl like me that will go in and buy 64 or 128 at a time that kills them .. and you ... sorry

Last edited:
It's more complicated than that. I had requested UPS domestic shipment rather than Fedex Ground because Fedex is the absolute worst delivery company in the USA. The cargo ship offloaded the cargo about 6 weeks ago. It took about 5 business days for the boxes to get through customs and picked up by UPS. UPS delivered one box (2 cells) and recalled the other 3 boxes. There was a warehouse fire in California and UPS recalled the packages to inspect them. Worse yet, UPS shipped the packages back to California, back to Ohio, back to California, back to Ohio (!!), then back to California. The logistics company then re-shipped via Fedex and they've been sitting for almost two weeks waiting for Fedex Ground to even pick them up.

I can't get any answers from the supplier or logistics company as to why UPS recalled their packages or why they switched to Fedex. UPS is pretty strict about haz-mat labeling and declaring what's in the packages. I can only assume that the logistics company in China wasn't totally above board with UPS or intentionally lied about the package contents. But I can't be sure.

Now that camping season is mostly over, and what is left doesn't require me to run my air conditioner 24x7, I don't need the additional battery capacity so I've been waiting. The seller is great to deal with, but her choice of logistics company sucks. Since I have two of the eight cells I ordered, if I ask my CC company to cancel, then it turns in to a mess for the seller and me, especially if the other six cells get delivered after I cancel.

As a small business owner myself, I hate to do this to the seller because I know it'll hurt them. And since the extra battery capacity isn't needed right now, I've chosen to be extra patient. All that said, I did give the seller notice that if the cells aren't picked up by COB Tuesday then I'm going to go to my CC company and start that process. I've sent an email to Jenny Wu asking if she has eight EVE 280Ah cells in stock in Houston. If not, then I might as well wait. However, despite my threat to cancel on Tuesday, I will at least give her time to see my message. I think it's a holiday in China all week.

Ugh

picked up by UPS. UPS delivered one box (2 cells) and recalled the other 3 boxes. There was a warehouse fire in California and UPS recalled the packages to inspect them. Worse yet, UPS shipped the packages back to California, back to Ohio, back to California, back to Ohio (!!), then back to California.

And tell us why FedEx is the worst.

And tell us why FedEx is the worst.
I also think FedEx is really bad, and has been since before the pandemic.

A box of wine got shipped from New York to me in Colorado. It made it to some place in Pennsylvania and then just got stuck. After 5 days of it being stuck I called FedEx. The agent looked it up and said there was something wrong with the label. When I asked how they could get it moving again, she asked if I could come and pick it up. That is, she was suggesting I drive from Colorado to Pennsylvania and then back.

Another order of wine was left in the delivery van overnight during the winter, and all the wine froze. The package was delivered the next day, and the corks had popped out of most of the bottles.

I believe my wine club in New York has now had three packages intended for me get lost or damaged by FedEx.

Another order from an Amazon vendor got stuck immediately after pick up. The vendor (Temco Industrial) was awesome in trying to get it freed up, but to my knowledge it is still stuck. Temco sent me a replacement order via USPS.

If the FedEx driver is in a hurry, they simply leave packages at the bottom of our 75 foot driveway, inviting porch pirates so they don't even have to come to my porch!

I've never had a problem with UPS.

I want to say a big thanks to Jenny Wu for helping me with my battery purchase. I ordered 16 280 AH cells and I received them 28 SEP and received them today 30 SEP. They did send them from Houston and I do live in San Antonio. To me it was a good price with shipping and I did not have to try and take time off work. I they were boxed as 2 cells per box, packed very well. The cells all tested 3.289 per cell. I am waiting for my charger to top balance them and the BMS to put the pack together. I am making a 48 volt pack. Thank for all your hard work.
Thanks for posting I'm in Dallas. Two quick questions,

1. Did your 280's come with welded studs?
2. What brand did you receive?

Thanks for posting I'm in Dallas. Two quick questions,

1. Did your 280's come with welded studs?
2. What brand did you receive?
They have screw in studs which seem to be aluminum. They were the EVE cells.

Last edited:
I had also placed an order, the 280ah cells arrived within about 8 days I believe. EVE cells, with screw in studs.

Just received my 12 eve 280ah cells, it took a whole six work days to appear at my door. Upon visual inspection they look good new appearance with no wear marks, packaged well.

Thanks, Jenny.

Back