diy solar

diy solar

Out building, would you get a Solar Generator kit or a small

wthompson

Solar Generator kit or a Solar kit with Battery for a small outbuilding?

I'm new to all of this and I'm wanting to start with my small out building that I use for storage and park my tractor plus I do a little work out of before I commit to doing my house. Which way should I go?

I'm new to all of this and I'm wanting to start with my small out building that I use for storage and park my tractor plus I do a little work out of before I commit to doing my house. Which way should I go?
Solar kit if you want to learn more better yet design your own system if education is a part of your goals. A solar generator is quick easy and you can use it somewhere else easily. No wrong choices just what meets your goals the best.

Solar kit if you want to learn more better yet design your own system if education is a part of your goals. A solar generator is quick easy and you can use it somewhere else easily. No wrong choices just what meets your goals the best.
Thanks Bobert.

There are 2 basic approaches to consider.
There's Pros Cons on both sides but appropriate application for purpose is fuddled when it comes down to it. Quite often by the instant rice mentality of I want it now, cheap and easy.

1) the conventional "component" system.
A conventional system comprises of a Solar Charge Controller, Inverter/Charger, Battery sub-system and of course solar panels. Additionally several smaller components to connect it all called "Balance of System".
** Example from Will's diagrams.

2) the "All in one systems"
These include the solar controller, inverter,some have single or dual VAC input to take charge power from Grid/Genset. They are mostly High-frequency using MOSFETS which have limitations, mostly handling inductive loads like motors (fridge,freezer,AC and similar preloaded compressors due to the high start surges & spikes. See more below. They are cheaper, easier to install and obviously less balance of system stuff.
- the Big Gotcha ! It's "On" or "Off" and their efficiency isn't great.
- if you do not need inverter because you are away (weekend cabin for example) but want solar to continue on its own,tough.

** Examples from Will's diagrams.

IF this is a precursor to House electrification it's a good way to dip the toes into the pond.
You can go with Mid-grade goodies and build a nice simple system to handle the "shop" But using tools machinery and such you'll need Low Frequency for optimal performance. High frequency is actually hard on motors you can actually hear a sound difference as they staring which is bad for them as well. Like running a drill off a dimmer switched circuit.

PLEASE READ THIS LINK.

Hope it helps, good luck.

the Big Gotcha ! It's "On" or "Off" and their efficiency isn't great.
- if you do not need inverter because you are away (weekend cabin for example) but want solar to continue on its own,tough.
Several of the AIO's solar chargers remain on, even when the system is powered down.

These include the solar controller, inverter,some have single or dual VAC input to take charge power from Grid/Genset. They are mostly High-frequency using MOSFETS which have limitations, mostly handling inductive loads like motors (fridge,freezer,AC and similar preloaded compressors due to the high start surges & spikes. See more below. They are cheaper, easier to install and obviously less balance of system stuff.
I just wanted to clarify from my own experience using 48v powmr AIO unit in my travel trailer as the example

1 efficiency in use. technically the efficiency the AIO is very good while in use. Coupled with lifepo4 batteries the efficiency losses of my AIO are not detectable without doing some measuring and some math.
2. Idle efficiency. This is where the AIO really falls short. My unit used 55 watts per hour. In the winter time especially this is a noticeable draw and so we have gone to turning the unit off when we are not using the inverter.
3. The solar charger will operate with the unit turned off. If ac power is only needed when you are on site just turning off the inverter when not in service solves the problem.
4. Surge capacity. I have no complaints about the surge capacity of my AIO. It was able to start my rooftop ac which according to the documentation I could find was over 60 amps locked rotor. I think the key with surge capacity for a high frequency inverter is to have the maximum continuous output be double the running wattage of the motor driven appliances or tools you will use.

There are 2 basic approaches to consider.
There's Pros Cons on both sides but appropriate application for purpose is fuddled when it comes down to it. Quite often by the instant rice mentality of I want it now, cheap and easy.

1) the conventional "component" system.
A conventional system comprises of a Solar Charge Controller, Inverter/Charger, Battery sub-system and of course solar panels. Additionally several smaller components to connect it all called "Balance of System".
** Example from Will's diagrams.

** Examples from Will's diagrams.

IF this is a precursor to House electrification it's a good way to dip the toes into the pond.
You can go with Mid-grade goodies and build a nice simple system to handle the "shop" But using tools machinery and such you'll need Low Frequency for optimal performance. High frequency is actually hard on motors you can actually hear a sound difference as they staring which is bad for them as well. Like running a drill off a dimmer switched circuit.

PLEASE READ THIS LINK.

Hope it helps, good luck.
That's awesome info Steve. Thanks those are the things I need to know and would have never thought.

I went from 4 - 100W pv panels, two used SLA batteries from cell towers, an EPEVER 40 amp/12 V SCC, Edecoa 3500W PSW inverter, fuses, wiring (all from Amazon)...Straight up to a 20,640W PV array for my home. I recommend a small system to get your feet wet, make some sparks/blow molten metal??⚡️?? ? and also provide back up power when your big system goes down. Because it will go down and leave you in the dark. Even if it's while testing my big system or new settings/BMS's/batteries/loading the Gen too much...as in my case. So now my little system will provide some light outside, inside and power a laptop, phone chargers, refrigerator or freezer in an emergency.

I went from 4 - 100W pv panels, two used SLA batteries from cell towers, an EPEVER 40 amp/12 V SCC, Edecoa 3500W PSW inverter, fuses, wiring (all from Amazon)...Straight up to a 20,640W PV array for my home. I recommend a small system to get your feet wet, make some sparks/blow molten metal??⚡️?? ? and also provide back up power when your big system goes down. Because it will go down and leave you in the dark. Even if it's while testing my big system or new settings/BMS's/batteries/loading the Gen too much...as in my case. So now my little system will provide some light outside, inside and power a laptop, phone chargers, refrigerator or freezer in an emergency.
RV10flyer, how did you educate yourself and do you have any recommendations?

RV10flyer, how did you educate yourself and do you have any recommendations?
This forum helped tremendously!!

Past (Military) and present (HVAC) work experiences were very helpful.

Many YouTubers.

My little 400W 12V system even survived my learning.

Just do a lot of research before you get the credit or bank card out. Look at reviews. Don't buy brand new products on the market. Make sure they've been out at least one year, so that you will see some real world experience on videos and forums. That's one reason why I have seven different brands of BMS's, three different brands of inverters, three different brands of charge controllers, five different sources for LFE cells, two different models of QCell panels. The other is redundancy. I want to help people that want or have these models get them set up and running themselves or troubleshoot problems. That is the fun part of my past/present careers.

Good luck. Ask alot of questions once you have educated yourself and researched all that you can. We're here to help.

Last edited:

It largely depends on your goals.

Is this a tinkering DIY project? - build yourself with parts and pieces.
Is this a I need something to power a few lights and cordless tool battery charger but dont want to spend hours and hours tinkering - solar generator
Is this something I plan to do real shop work in (2-3kw) with grinders, saws, etc - DIY a system with an AIO

It largely depends on your goals.

Is this a tinkering DIY project? - build yourself with parts and pieces.
Is this a I need something to power a few lights and cordless tool battery charger but dont want to spend hours and hours tinkering - solar generator
Is this something I plan to do real shop work in (2-3kw) with grinders, saws, etc - DIY a system with an AIO
This is a small out building that won't be more than to tinker end and park my tractor under and want to use it as a learning experince to maybe to change over my house to solar. I live up on a hill with 20 acres and not much cover so I have plenty of sun.

Back