diy solar

diy solar

Outback Radian 8kW or MPP Solar pair for 13kW?

JustPractical

I have four things to power (well pump, sump pump, fridge and oil furnace). Very unlikely all four would start at same time, but if they did, they would pull 92Amps and 11,100 watts. Am I better off going with the Outback Radian GS8048A-01 which can handle the surge better, or a pair of the MPP Solar LV6548 which can handle the starting current as part of their normal operation? Not looking for the paper specs answer (or the Growatt would be here too); more asking which is more reliable long term solution? The Outback will be pricier for one than the MAPP is for two (so I can get split phase). If the Outback I have mentioned here does not support split phase, then the Outback solution will be MUCH pricier. Thanks in advance!

Outback is very good equipment
I don’t know about the AIO units .
Every time I try Chinese equipment I’m disappoint .
My neighbor has been running a out back system for 20 years he has changed battery’s twice and upgraded his charge controller .
I use out back equipment ?

Outback! Not even a choice! Yes, it produces split-phase 120/240VAC. Keep in mind it surges to 12kW for 5 seconds. The MPP can surge for 16 miliseconds.

OutBack GS8048A-01 Radian Inverter/Charger, 8000W, 120/240VAC, 60Hz(50Hz), 50A Transfer, 48VDC, Sinewave, 115A Charger, with BTS, Dual AC Inputs, ABC, GridZero Technology, UL1741-SA​

Over the Sol-Ark 12kW as well?
Ignore this question - I did more research. The "12kW' naming is more than a bit deceptive.

Last edited:
On the Outback I will also need to purchase a battery charge controller. Also, My roof faces east/west so will I need to get a seocnd charge controller so the east and west arrays go on their own controller?

On the Outback I will also need to purchase a battery charge controller. Also, My roof faces east/west so will I need to get a seocnd charge controller so the east and west arrays go on their own controller?
Yes, the Outback will need charge controllers.
Here is the MPP Solar unit that is coming soon (if you can wait). It's a low frequency model that can handle surges :

LVX6048WP-2.png

I think I'm moving in the direction of the OutBack. The MPP has a LOAD of great features, and an AiO is a great fit for me (I'm lazy). But...I'm looking for something that will just work and keep working for a while. I see a lot of paople who are happy with their Growatt and MPP units, but often the glowing praise starts with "For the money..."
I'm VERY frugal, but the OutBack seems like a better match for my needs. Just seems more "heavy duty" (yes, I know that's very subjective).

I'm VERY frugal, but the OutBack seems like a better match for my needs. Just seems more "heavy duty" (yes, I know that's very subjective).
My sister-in-law once admonished me with "You'll remember the quality long after you've forgotten the price".

The other saying here is "Buy cheap and buy twice". In other venues I've also found that to be true.

With the east west roof (so assuming*about* half the panels will be in shade at any given time) - do I need to run each side back to a seperate charge controller? And will I need the Mate 3 if I have more than 1 charge controller?

And all of this said, here's a curveball. We plan to move in another 3.5 years. My original plan was to remove most of the solar stuff and take it with us. BUT...now I'm thinking maybe makes more sense to buy lower end and leave it behind and buy fresher and better when we move. I wish I could see the future - would make these decisions easier.

I think the quality of MPP Solar and Growatt are making inroads into the territory of Sol-Ark and Outback.
I am going to roll the dice on MPP Solar's new LVX6048WP because it's a much heavier low frequency model.
I'm not sold on the Sol-Ark 12 kw. It's lightweight and high frequency. I like those heavy copper transformers.
Growatt's 12kw is a whopping 200 lbs ! And less than $3000. But their charge controllers are lacking.

As someone who is 100% off grid and lives in the stick, I prefer Outback. Mine have been on for over 15 years now, I feel the quality is there. However, they sure are behind in the features and have their own interface issues.

How big is your well pump? I converted my 5HP unit to 3 phase and use a VFD (split to 3 phase) that provides a 10 second ramp up and no startup surge. It solved a lot of problems.

I would not write off the Growatt SPF 12kw DVM. It's a low frequency inverter with a massive transformer. Unit weighs upwards of 170 lbs. It's split phase 240vac AND has 2 60a mppt charge controllers built in ... 2 PV inputs one each for your east and west arrays. I've heard reports of if starting a 5 ton and 3 ton ac.

Biggest down side I've seen Is the high watt self consumption. I don't have it yet, but that's the reports I'm seeing on YouTube and the forum.

What are the issues with the Growatt 12kw charge controllers?
They are relatively low voltage, not near as high as the MPP Solar's 600V.
But I like it and may buy it. Right now it's between the Growatt 12kw and MPP Solar LVX6048WP.
The MPP has higher voltage charge controllers and handles 7500kw PV input (I'm using 2 for 15000kw)
The Growatt 12kw can only handle 7000kw PV input, so I would need 2 of them or add some external charge controllers.
Which may be the best way to go; not sure if the Growatt 12kw can handle 12000+ kw PV input if you add external charge controllers ?

Last edited:
Yeah I've got coming the Growatt 12kw 250vdc. Even though it can only use 7000w of array we are overpaneling it to 11.5k watts of array . This will make it harvest close to it max potential regardless of the weather conditions. And if we find our battery is not getting fully charged every now and then (Even LF280k 48v 16s2p), or we just need more, we will just add another charge controller as we are running 2 home runs from the array to the inverter as the Growatts SCC input has 2 inputs, PV1 and PV2

Growatt 12kw 250vdc - Can't parallel them? (doesn;t seem like I would need to, but that's unexpected). The standby power consumption of 250 watts seems high (i was expecting a number more like 30W - but then again, I'm new to most of this)

Here you go just unscrew it and throw it in the truck ? the Chinese stuff may not last the 3 years ?
The Outback is expensive to start with and you need at least two for a large system.
Then you have to add some expensive charge controllers to the two Outbacks. It gets very expensive.
I'm willing to risk $4000 for two LVX6048WP's. They are a new design and getting better all the time.

The OutBack has the rep, but the Growatt 12kw 250vdc with a claim of 3X surge capability and all in for $2,300 is a REAL temptation. It tips the scales at over 165 pounds (but it comes from China - they could have just packed it up with spent uranium fuel rods). Dual PV in's would help my situation with wanting to run the east and west roof sides seperatly (I think). If it's important to anyone, I don't think the LVX has UL, and not sure about Growatt. The OutBack - yes.

Back