diy solar

diy solar

Outback Radian 8kW or MPP Solar pair for 13kW?

Flex power radian 80/48 A 8000k watts and it will serve to 16k for real ? not just words on a screen .
Buy once , cry once good stuff

The OutBack has the rep, but the Growatt 12kw 250vdc with a claim of 3X surge capabilit and all in for $2,300 is a REAL temptation. It tips the scales at over 165 pounds (but it comes from China - they could have just packed it up with spent uranium fuel rods). Dual PV in's would help my situation with wanting to run the east and west roof sides seperatly (I think). If it's important to anyone, I don't think the LVX has UL, and not sure about Growatt. The OutBack - yes.
Hmmmmm there you go two fm 80 charge control for east and west ?
You can do every thing you need to do with this unit .
You can set your pumps up with a priority switch so only one turns on at once .
You still need a ton of battery’s to run all this , out back has been taking people off grid for ever , of course you can go Chinese and just buy a extra one , I have a feeling you will need it ?
7D6F5F92-55BB-4CC7-BFE6-51F30C961E5F.png

Somewhere I saw (I think) there is a newer MPP (or one of the new players) that is UL. Can't find it now.

As to the Growat? No UL. But is the inverter packed with uranium or plutonium.? Don't think so.

This is the 6 kw, the 12kw's baby bro. He opened it up.

"baby monster"
He opens it up. At 9:50 he talks about how to fix the ideal consumption. ?‍♂️
11:50 "I no like dis transformer. I No like" ?

He does not like the power consumption but over likes it.

Last edited:
Average Joe tested the growatt. Has it in his home. You could post a question to him on YouTube . He has responded to me on several questions.

And I know Signature Solar, and I believe watts 247 both carry spare boards for the Growatt, so in a mission critical off grid situation you could keep a spare. It is supposedly field serviceable.

The OutBack has the rep, but the Growatt 12kw 250vdc with a claim of 3X surge capability and all in for $2,300 is a REAL temptation. It tips the scales at over 165 pounds (but it comes from China - they could have just packed it up with spent uranium fuel rods). Dual PV in's would help my situation with wanting to run the east and west roof sides seperatly (I think). If it's important to anyone, I don't think the LVX has UL, and not sure about Growatt. The OutBack - yes.
Almost everything comes from China so that doesn't bother me today. I do think we should pull manufacturing back home.
The Growatt is UL 1741 "rapid-shutdown" compliant. If I can add some Midnight charge controllers to it and get the PV input up around 12kw or more, I think I favor the Growatt over the MPP Solar.

Flex power radian 80/48 A 8000k watts and it will serve to 16k for real ? not just words on a screen .
I was thinking I would need two of the Outback 8kw's to run my home. But they are claiming one will do it.
Thanks for the info; I'll have to do more reading :)

I’m using a flex power one 36/48 a it has a lot of grunt .
I would think about down sizing some where if a 8k watt inverter was not big enough .
My cabin is 2800sf and runs on 2/300 watts All day long unless I do Landry or some thing .
The pumps just won’t start exactly at the same time .
I have plenty of power but its cold here so I don’t need AC .

I’m using a flex power one 36/48 a it has a lot of grunt .
I would think about down sizing some where if a 8k watt inverter was not big enough .
My cabin is 2800sf and runs on 2/300 watts All day long unless I do Landry or some thing .
The pumps just won’t start exactly at the same time .
I have plenty of power but its cold here so I don’t need AC .
The radian 8k will run at 9k for 30 minutes. Since my heat pump will draw 4-5kw when running, 8kw is probably too small for me.

It dosent run consistently?
I should do some power studies on my house. I could turn several things on at the same time and get an idea of what the peak power usage is.
The higher output of the Growatt 12kw is appealing ; plus it seems to have decent factory support and you can get spare boards. And it can handle large surges.

a heat pump could be a problem , I did not see that listed .
Its cold here so we don’t really use heat pumps much , I just heat with wood and my place is heavy on insulation
I have radiant heat in concrete 1400 sf on the first floor but dont use it yet , there is no need .
I still think your battery will be your larges down fall .

I still think your battery will be your largest down fall .
Right now I have on order two 48V 16s 280AH sets; one from Amy Wan and the other from the Lishen-Eve store (?)
So approx 26KW of batteries coming. I may need one or two more sets to get 52AH's.

I really like the 8kw Outback radian and the system I am building has to be dependable so I am ordering one tomorrow. :)
Anyone seen a better deal than this ? I didn't realize it weighs 190 lbs !

https://thepowerstore.com/outback-p...States&utm_source=google+adwords&utm_content={ad}&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_ens44_thiYzcApaUpRJ8rQ7FczGxVE-6Gs02tSUmjGs5X4tHMltoMaAiFpEALw_wcB

Yeah I've got coming the Growatt 12kw 250vdc. Even though it can only use 7000w of array we are overpaneling it to 11.5k watts of array . This will make it harvest close to it max potential regardless of the weather conditions. And if we find our battery is not getting fully charged every now and then (Even LF280k 48v 16s2p), or we just need more, we will just add another charge controller as we are running 2 home runs from the array to the inverter as the Growatts SCC input has 2 inputs, PV1 and PV2
MrM1 - can you explain overpaneling? Are you just saying "to heck with it" and hooking up 11.5kw of panel figuring when all's said and done, it will probably make closer to the 7kw anyway? I'm new to all of this, and not yet familiar with what I can do a "close enough, good enough" with. For example, I know panel voltage goes up when it gets cold, but how crazy should I go. I checked and the coldest day EVER was -39F. Do I work with that number, or go with "the coldest day I have ever seen was -17, and that was 5 years ago..." and rate the panels based on that? Same for you attaching it to 11.5kW of panel - is it one of those "well...the panels will NEVER actually produce 11.5kW, so no need to worry?" Don't mean to open up a can of worms, and I understand many people do things differently and may have a different opinion. Just looking to gather opinions...

I really like the 8kw Outback radian and the system I am building has to be dependable so I am ordering one tomorrow. :)
Anyone seen a better deal than this ? I didn't realize it weighs 190 lbs !

https://thepowerstore.com/outback-p...States&utm_source=google+adwords&utm_content={ad}&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_ens44_thiYzcApaUpRJ8rQ7FczGxVE-6Gs02tSUmjGs5X4tHMltoMaAiFpEALw_wcB
Hmmmm I would look at there all in one system for 7k $ ish it gives you 2 fm80s a mate fndc power monitor and all the wiring , switches / breakers all ready to go .
You just hook up your battery’s , hook up your solar , hook up your ac out and genarator /grid input .
The unit comes tested and ready to go .
When I bought my system a out back flex power one it was cheaper then if I bought every thing and Assembled it myself .
where ever you buy make sure they have good tech support it’s more important then the price.
If I had internet I could have a engineer from Arizona wind and sun log into my system and trouble shoot and adjust settings , The guys are good .

MrM1 - can you explain overpaneling? Are you just saying "to heck with it" and hooking up 11.5kw of panel figuring when all's said and done, it will probably make closer to the 7kw anyway? I'm new to all of this, and not yet familiar with what I can do a "close enough, good enough" with. For example, I know panel voltage goes up when it gets cold, but how crazy should I go. I checked and the coldest day EVER was -39F. Do I work with that number, or go with "the coldest day I have ever seen was -17, and that was 5 years ago..." and rate the panels based on that? Same for you attaching it to 11.5kW of panel - is it one of those "well...the panels will NEVER actually produce 11.5kW, so no need to worry?" Don't mean to open up a can of worms, and I understand many people do things differently and may have a different opinion. Just looking to gather opinions...
You can add extra panels to a mppt controler but the controler will only put out its max amps , but you will get to full amp out put earlier and latter in the day . I’m sure you can go over by 25% or a little more , I’m over by 500watts on my fm 80 .

If possible I would work with the 100 year cold average -39 is cold but you could just turn your solar off at nite and turn it back on when it warms up later in the morning .
My cold temp is -27 and I’m rite there at -27 so if I’m sitting @ - 15 before bed I’ll walk over an kill the solar and turn it back on in the morning after looking at the temp .

You can allso figure your winter watts will be about half what you get in summer so in theory you can allmost double
your solar panels for winter on one charge controller and just turn them off in the summer .
I have 4500 watts and see 3700 watts at 12 noon in July At 12 noon on dec21 I can see 1800/2000 watts max

@JustPractical

Overpaneling is simply building an array larger than what your charge controller can use. Let's say the max array size your solar charge controller can use is 7000w. So you build a 7000w array. The only time you are ever likely to see that array produce 7000w will be at solar noon on a cloudless day at the exact right time of year. Basically a 7000w array will almost never produce 7000w at any moment in a day.

My 2565w array has never hit more than 2200w at any given moment on a perfect day in optimal conditions. On the very best of days here in N central FL I get 11kwh per day. I start making little bits of power around 8am and it's done by 5pm (this time of year). That's 1222w per hour on average for 9 hrs on a perfect day.

The goal of over paneling is to maximize solar production in the mornings, evenings and on cloudy days. At the optimal time of day in ideal conditions, if you over panel that extra power is wasted, but most of the time it helps you get closer to your target max.

The only caution is VOC. Do not exceed your SCCs max voc input. And I'd plan for worse case. I'm setting up 4s with panels that do 49vdc voc each, x's 4 = 196vdc voc for a scc rated for max 250vdc.

But basically if you don't exceed the voltage input, over paneling is good. Could you get more charge current from that over sized array with 2 SCCs? Maybe. But more expense. So it all depends on your needs and design.

I’m sure you can go over by 25% or a little more...
Why stop at 25%? The SCC is only going to use what it can use. Does it care if the array can produce 10, 20 or 100% more than that?

I asked midnite solar about over paneling the classic 150 , and they told me it makes no difference. It will only use what it wants and the rest is wasted. It does not even disperse as heat, it just never gets used

It's like hooking up my 1500w toaster to the mega watt grid. The grid can produce many thousands of watts , but my toaster is only ever going to use 1500.

Hmmmmm there you go two fm 80 charge control for east and west ?
You can do every thing you need to do with this unit .
You can set your pumps up with a priority switch so only one turns on at once .
You still need a ton of battery’s to run all this , out back has been taking people off grid for ever , of course you can go Chinese and just buy a extra one , I have a feeling you will need it ?

You could buy the Outback Flexpower and get a 5-year warranty.
Or SMA Sunny Island, 10 year warranty standard.

Not a pre-assembled panel, though. Pair with a Sunny Boy to connect PV (600Voc max strings), 10 year warranty, 15 or 20 optional
Together, about same price as Flexpower. (less if you buy somebody's inventory liquidation, maybe < $4000 for both)
You get combined AC wattage during the day.
But if you build a "small" system with just one Sunny Island, will require a 120/240V transformer.

Back