diy solar

diy solar

Outback Radian 8kW or MPP Solar pair for 13kW?

I had the same question as the OP about two mpp solar lvx6048wp vs Outback 8k. I know the outback’s are great units but I like redundancy of the two lvx (and I can afford to buy an “extra” one for back up and still pay less than the Outback). I know it’s an experiment but I saw Will P use the Mpp solar units and he doesn’t usually mess around and use poor quality items. Lastly my use is for a vacation home and so if all hell breaks loose I can just go home or to a hotel!

I'm partial to Prosolar racking with your whatever needed type roof mounts. Dollar for dollar you can't really even DIY Rails for the price of a Prosolar rail. Unistrut is another cheap option but its only slightly less than Prosolar and u can run into the issue of what to use for end caps.

S5 makes a great line of roof mounts. I've used the versabracket 47

Signature Solar makes a budget friendly mini rail but honestly I look at it and think, how exactly do I do zip tie cable management with these?
Wire management clips.

Update: I ended up going with a Growatt 12kw. It's a transformer based low freq inverter. Heavy as hell, but it can take a big surge. Probably overkill. Priced well, but to do again, not sure if I'd go Growatt. I tried to register the unit,and ran into so much trouble just doing that; so not sure how support will be. Still, a lot of people have them, and have them running. It's a 250vdc max on each of the two pv inputs. I hear newer units go up to 450vdc (which would be nice), but I think those are high freq inverters. Would have gone Sol-Ark, but this is not a "live there the rest of my life" install, so I couldn't justify the cost.

Nice. I'm just finishing up my install off the growatt 12kw in a cargo trailer for our off grid farm

Back