diy solar

diy solar

Outback Skybox new install problem, rapid shutdown question

Dforster67

I finally got the skybox installed. I went through the quick start and got everything setup and turned it on. The only thing connected currently is the grid inputs.

I am a little lost on the rapid shutdown section. It states that there should either be a rapid shutdown device or a factory installed jumper or you will get a fault. I currently do not have a rapid shutdown device installed. There is no jumper and of course I am getting a rapid shutdown fault and no AC output on my AC out terminals.

The instructions are not clear on if the "factory jumper" is already installed or should be included and has to be installed, or if I just jumper the terminals myself. The manual is not very thorough at all and I can't find anything on google or anywhere about this elusive jumper or how to install it.

I know a couple of you have the skybox and can probably help out!

Thank you!

On my GS8048 there is a ON/OFF jumper. With the jumper on it hands off on/off functions to software but when you pull the jumper it's a hard OFF and the inverter can't be powered back up until the jumper is replaced. The Skybox is the same.

With my rapid shutdown I used a Normally Closed double-pole single throw twist-to-reset Emergency Power Off button. One set of poles goes to the Radians power jumper and the other interrupts the signal going to the SSR to keep the battery contactor closed.

Panel rapid shutdown works by when the Radian cuts power it then in turn drops power to the wireless 'keep alive' signal put out by the Tigo gateway.

Ok. I read a few posts over on the outback forum and found some people had the same question. The instructions with the skybox are just bad in general and when they said remove the factory jumper to use a rapid shutdown device it confused me because there is no factory jumper installed.

I added a jumper and it works now. I don’t have a rapid shutdown device installed.

thanks.

Back