diy solar

diy solar

Outback Skybox questions

sollap

Solar Enthusiast
I was considering buying a used skybox, from a guy that doesn't seem to know much about it. It's cheap, and I don't mind tinkering with it even at the electronics level if necessary. The completeness of this unit and the software is what has me concerned.

Does anyone have a picture of a skybox with the main (upper) cover removed? I'd like to see what boards are supposed to be there to make sure this used one isn't missing anything.

Does Outback offer any technical support on used and out of warranty items? I assume not, but figured I'd ask. I have read about various skybox problems that have been fixed by Outback supplying a fix on a USB stick. If I had the same problem, but couldn't get Outback support for a known software/production problem, that could potentially make the unit unusable.

Are firmware updates available to anyone, or do you have to be registered with Outback to get them?

If there is anything else you think is relevant, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

I highly doubt Outback will support you based on my interactions with them. I too bought a used skybox but luckily for me, there were no hardware issues but more configuration and battery charging weirdness. The updates will go out to anyone and make sure the previous owner removes their system (MAC address) from the optics re monitoring site.

I can get pictures after I am back from vacation.

Thank you, that would be very helpful. What happens if the original owner did not remove their MAC from the optics re site? Is it associated with a user/password that I would need in order to get the updates?

No, you won’t be able to add your box to the optics re site to monitor the performance stats and it might be hard to show you bought this machine from the previous owner.

Also, you will need the installer/admin password at the minimum to make changes to the box.

I have the GS model and Outback has been a good company to work with. Firmware is on their site and free to download.

Back