diy solar

diy solar

Outdoor security camera system 24/7 250W

RogerOrange

Hi,

I need to install 10 - 12 Security camera's on a gun range in Callifornia where there is ample of sunshine and below freezing is an exception.

We need to generate our own power and the internet comes via satellite.
When I add up the needed power for all cameras, dvr, network equipment, and this modem using worse case scenario power consumption round up it comes to 250 watt.

Power needed from dusk to dawn:
19 hours of no sunlight x 250watt = 4750watts

What kind of battery capacity do you recommend?
We will have to build a closet out of concrete blocks and a steel door to store it all.
If there is a ready made vandalism proof cabinet available for all this I am open to suggestions.

If there is a stretch of heavy overcast weather we can remotely reduce the amount of power consumption by putting parts of the system to sleep. Additionally we can supplement the solar power with a portable generator to charge the batteries back to full capacity if we cant recuperate enough during the day during these rare days' of insufficient sunlight in Southern Callifornia.

You need to apply your 24 hour use, not your perceived 19 hours of no sunlight.

24h * 250W = 6000Wh

6000Wh/85% = 7059Wh (accounting for DC-AC conversion inefficiencies)

For lead-acid, you need 7059/50% = 14118Wh (1177Ah @ 12V)
For LFP, you need 7059/80% = 8824Wh (689Ah @ 12.8V)

Assuming you can reliably get 4 hours of full solar charging year round, 7059/4 = 1765W of solar.

You'll need two 70A solar charge controllers.

And a cute little 500W PSW inverter.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Wow it sure adds up "just" a security camera system. Its the darn satellite modem that sucks 80watts 24/7 that is causing the biggest pain :-(

Didn't see a mention of wired versus wireless, but having as many cameras on ethernet as possible would surely save some power both on camera side and with whatever they communicate with. Since you mentioned DVR (NVR?) I'm guessing most likely wired and cams PoE.

What parts of the system can you put to sleep? I see you mentioned that if the weather conditions suggest low solar collection, but how about doing it by default, or at least overnight. Satellite could wake to upload periodic still shots, or immediately if a motion event occurred. That way you can determine if you want to connect directly to the system by monitoring the remote server that the images go to. If it's a raccoon, disregard. If it's a person then connect and begin monitoring in real time. If you have a choke point to the range you could also utilize a microcontroller with sensors to serve as the alarm clock to the entire system overnight. No breach, no bother.

Might be able to cut out some fat by powering the NVR with DC directly and then running the absolute smallest and most efficient inverter for the remaining AC load(s). Something like the Victron 250VA on eco mode.

I'd go lifepo4 in a cooler-in the concrete utility room. It'd probably take several days of below freezing weather to drop the battery temperature too low for charging, and that may never happen if the concrete room warms up during the day from sunlight even if temps remain cold. I'd purchase more bargain buy solar panels to eliminate the need of ever having to take the generator up there, even if the panel potential is much greater than the capability of you charge controller(s). When the getting is good, bum rush the battery.

You may also benefit from using something like a Victron BMV to monitor battery state of charge. Using a raspberry pi you could monitor the state of charge remotely, or even more efficient - using a Particle Photon that reads the Victron data and periodically pushes to a database. If you used something like Google Firebase for this, you could trigger events based on the data received - taking the burden off of your system. Example: Your hourly state of charge upload (which also uploads your hourly still shots, waking satellite as little as possible) transmits 30%. Firebase configured to send you a text alert when this happens, so logic is performed in the cloud and not from your site. You could then add more panels or do the generator thing.

Thanks for all your replies!

My mantra is that I always prefer wired over wireless. However given the distance and trouble I would have to go trough to connect the 3 ranges would be significant!

Also it turns out we don't need 24/7 remote access to the cameras witch allows me to disable the power hungry satellite modem for at least 12 hours per day.
The main concern is to have video evidence if something bad would happen during the day when the range is open (dusk - dawn) so that will allow me to further reduce the need for energy when there is no sunlight. So all I need to buffer is the power needed for the time when there is insufficient sunlight to fully support the system.

I am now considering 4 separate systems:

Existing building:

Solar power is already preset and sufficient for the satellite modem. Install the DVR and WiFi Mesh access point (Ubiquity Pro Mesh).

Rifle range:
POE switch
Unifi Pro Mesh AP*
5 Cameras
Total power consumption max 50watt (dusk - dawn)

Handgun range:
POE switch
Unifi Pro Mesh AP*
5 Cameras
Total power consumption max 50watt (dusk - dawn)

200 Yard rifle range:
POE switch
Unifi Pro Mesh AP*
5 Cameras
Total power consumption max 5 watt (dusk - dawn)

* I am aware that PtP connections would be better but this would complicate the setup. Also the locations allows the AP's to truly "mesh". With additional bonus of a generous WiFi coverage over the entire area (yes I will subnet etc).

I am thinking of using a PoE Switch that can be powered with 48V DC this would allow me to eliminate a 110V transporter with its losses and design a 48V solar power system.

Also I am planning on cameras with build in micro SD card storage as a backup in case the network or dvr fails.

Back