diy solar

diy solar

Outdoor Shed night light

Philipwk

I am interested in opinions of a solar single light to light up my parking area all night long.
I have no parts yet just need some advice.
Live in state of Washington out in the boonies.

I am interested in opinions of a solar single light to light up my parking area all night long.
I have no parts yet just need some advice.
Live in state of Washington out in the boonies.
For security lighting I prefer motion detection lighting.
Much cheaper and more effective as you are alerted to when there is activity.

yes, because usually steady lights just provides convenient lights to the burglar
if your parking is remote, you can also add a cheap camera recorder that will record the trigger of lights.
a very cheap dashcam can even do that.

For security lighting I prefer motion detection lighting.
Much cheaper and more effective as you are alerted to when there is activity.

I've got 4 of these around my property. The oldest one has 2 years in operation with no problems.
Costco carries these occasionally at a better price but they sell fast.✌

usually when you open these devices, you see the 18650 are 800mAh or 1200mAh, so you can advantageously replace them by 1800 or 2000 mAh for increased time.
for security , it is better to have a very bright light for a few seconds than a weak one all night.
the bright light makes you blind when it goes on and off, increasing the insecurity feeling if you are surprised in suspicious activity.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of this as well. I wanted to be able to turn off my inverter, and run lights, and small accessories off of a buck converter. I went to the Auto store to get parts for my car, and though "Hmm...maybe use Car headlights? They're already 12v DC, and they're super bright. I could even get LED bulbs..."

The primary purpose of my shed project was lighting. I summarized my setup in a different thread, take a look at the top post HERE for my setup and what I did. Maybe a little more than what you want, but you can check it out for yourself.

50 watt solar panel or 20 watt whatevers laying around. Car battery, solar charge controller, 10$ Walmart inverter, Super Bright Led Moton Light.
The little inverter also has a 5v 2A usb you can plug in a Security Cam. The inverter doesn't draw much current just running at idle.

Or you could skip the Solar and run a small wire and charge the battery from the house.
Fun Stuff!

Back