diy solar

diy solar

Over Amping Jackery 1000

John_G

Hello,

I'm new to solar and I have a beginners question. I have read that MPPT controllers have the ability to handle larger amp input then specified without causing any problem. My questions is:

Is the Jackery 1000 able to handle the Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase? It has an Opitmum Operating Current of 10.5A. According to the Jackery specs, it has an input of 7.5 - 8.33 Amps.

Thanks,
John

I have read that MPPT controllers have the ability to handle larger amp input then specified without causing any problem. My questions is:

Is the Jackery 1000 able to handle the Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase? It has an Opitmum Operating Current of 10.5A. According to the Jackery specs, it has an input of 7.5 - 8.33 Amps.
the Jackery 1000 can accept 30 volts and 200 watts of panels no problem.
But you will not get over 7 amps charging the Jackery 1000 at 30 volts as tested by Will Prowse on Youtube.
Seeing that 2 100 watt panels in parallel are only about 18 volts you will get less than 7 amps.
Maybe get 130 watts charging this time of year from two 100 watt panels.

EDIT: I now see that Renogy sells a suitcase without a controller for $467!!!
The Solar Suitcase has a built in charge controller and the Jackery 1000 has a MPPT charger so I guess you
would have to disconnect the suitcase charger so why spend so much on a suitcase unit when you
could buy 2 100 watt panels for much less?

Hello MBR,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I seen Will's video. I just wasn't sure if going over the 7 amps would damage the Jackery. Is it a case where the Jackery (MPPT) just limits the input to 7 amps and more less throws the other 3.5 amps away?

The reason I want the suitcase is portability. I want to use it for camping. That's the only reason I purchased the Jackery 1000. For home use, I've setup a small 4 x 85ah AGM battery bank with a 2000 watt inverter. I'm new to solar. I thought I would start there to get my feet wet. I'll just use it for backup power during failures.

Also, I'm in Canada. There a good deal on the Renogy 200 watt suitcase right now. Please see link

It's $339 Canadian. Which is $235 USD

Thanks

John,

Did you ever get an answer to this question re: using the Renogy 200Watt suitcase with Jackery 1000 or have you tried? I left a vm for Jackery and they told me to keep Open voltage below 30 and amps below 7.8 but that doesn't make sense. In other words, they said no. They use 2 100 watt Solar Saga panels in parallel that would theoretically go over 10 AMPs. The Open voltage on the Renogy and Saga are nearly the same at 21.8 v 21.6 and putting two Solar Sagas together would increase amps to 11.1 compared to Renogy at 11.7. Have you tried or do have an answer? Thank you.

John,

Did you ever get an answer to this question re: using the Renogy 200Watt suitcase with Jackery 1000 or have you tried? I left a vm for Jackery and they told me to keep Open voltage below 30 and amps below 7.8 but that doesn't make sense. In other words, they said no. They use 2 100 watt Solar Saga panels in parallel that would theoretically go over 10 AMPs. The Open voltage on the Renogy and Saga are nearly the same at 21.8 v 21.6 and putting two Solar Sagas together would increase amps to 11.1 compared to Renogy at 11.7. Have you tried or do have an answer? Thank you.
Did you read my post #2 above?
Yes of course you can use a 200 watt panel and nothing bad is going to happen.
Jackerys customer service are jacking you around with jankery.

Yes I did thank you. I wasn't sure how you derived your calculation in your sentence: "Seeing that 2 100 watt panels in parallel are only about 18 volts you will get less than 7 amps". Is that based on the assumed operating efficiency of the panel? Sorry, just a newbie trying to understand. I did watch Prouses' video but he never tried to increase amps. I also couldn't find out any specific information about the rated amperage capacity on the MPPT controller on the Jackery so I wasn't entirely certain if it would create an issue. Jackery does state that they have both over current and over voltage protection in their product brochure so I thought the Jackery response was bs as well.

Solar panels do not push amperage... they allow up to a maximum amp draw... the 200A panel will work fine, AS LONG as the VOC is less than 30V.

Back