diy solar

diy solar

Over Panel MPP Hybrid Inverter PIP 1012LV-MS

danjohn001

I just installed the MPP Solar PIP 1012LV-MS.
It is perfect sized inverter and I really like it’s features.

It’s rated at 500 watts max PV input.

I have 4-250 watt panels with the following specs.
Rated Power: 250W
Open circuit voltage (VOC): 37.6 V
Max power voltage (VMP): 30.3 V
Short circuit current (ISC): 8.85 A
Max power current: 8.27 A
Power Tolerance 0/+3%
Maximum system voltage: 600V (UL)
Fuse Rating: 15 A

I contacted the manufacturer hoping to over panel so I could get 500 watts for longer in the day, and on cloudy days.

They responded:

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your information.
PIP 1012LV-MS can handle Maximum PV input power:500W, Voc:102Vdc, Isc:40A.

For panel which has the rated power: 250W, VOC: 37.6 V, ISC: 8.85 A
You can have Maximum 2pc of solar panels in series to get 500W, 75.2Vdc, 8.85 A
Or 2pc in parallel to get 500W, 37.6 V, 17.7 A

Thank you

Which brings me to 2 new questions:

Can I overpanel if I keep the voltage low ( ie. 2S2P? array)

Could I add a second MPPT controller and run 500 watts on each system?

Would that do any harm to my Hybrid system?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, and just an option with respect to the expense, it might be cheaper to buy a new controller that is 24v 2.4kw or higher. And you might but some thought to a 48v 5kw controller, they aren't that much more expensive. And the current flow is less too with respect to the operating voltages. That way you can add more panels in any configuration to the power you would like in the future.

anyway, just a passing thought and probably not the answer you were looking for, but maybe cheaper out of your pocket.

I had thought about those options, prior to purchase. The system is installed in a converted cargo trailer, so the weight and size of the equipment was a factor in that decision.

It will work with 500 watts, but since I have the extra panels, I’m trying to find a way to have around 500 watts in less than perfect weather.

Last edited:
I had thought about those options, prior to purchase. The system is installed in a converted cargo trailer, so the weight and size of the equipment was a factor in that decision.

It will work with 500 watts, but since I have the extra panels, I’m trying to find a way to have around 500 watts in less than perfect weather.
ok, I was thinking of a house or cabin.

I also have PIP-1012. I start out with two Sunpower SPR230 in parallel and I get about 350 ~ 375W PV power with loads, but on cloudy day I may get 275 ~ 300W, so I add another panel in parallel, now on good sunny day I get about 500 ~ 520W of PV power, on cloudy day I get about 350 ~ 400W, the PV Voltage is about 35VDC, the PV current (using DCA Clamp on meter) is around 15A. The PIP will trotter down the power from the panel to it max limit of around 500W. I have my unit since September.

Thanks so much for the info. I’m going to use 3 of my 250 watt panels in parallel like you’ve done. I’m glad to hear the PIP is controlling the amperage.

Do you have clamp on meter to check the DC current? I use UNI-T 210E.
Please give feedback as to how it works out for you. I bought the 1012 as a starter for learning about Solar system, I will probaly upgrade to 24V system next year.

Back