diy solar

diy solar

Over-paneling DEYE / Sol-ARK 5KW

gonmag8

Hi all, newb question here

I am getting a "Turbo Energy" 5KW inverter and from what I am told it is made by DEYE and rebranded by a Spanish importer.

1650723045178.png

all the specs and everything look the same as the DEYE so I assume it is so.

The question I have is about over-paneling.
This is a 5KW inverter but seems to have 6.5KW Input on the MPPT.
Is this the 133% that I read about when over-paneling ? 5KW x 1.33 = ~6.5KW ?
Or is the 6.5KW the actual Power of the MPPT's and I can add another 33% of panels on top ? 6.5 x 1.33 = ~8.6KW ?

Thanks.

1650723032597.png

The amount of solar input an (off-grid or hybrid) inverter can take is only loosely related to its output and varies a lot. That doesn’t have to do with that 133% figure that is quoted.

Generally, since most real world conditions have panels putting out only 50-80% of their rated peak output, you are safe to over-panel up to the max voltage and amperage rating of the input, and it will take what it is actually able to.

6.5kw is the actual rating of the input, and you could put more than that up to the 500V/13A max per MPPT (but it will most likely still only take up to 6.5kw).

Thanks for your reply,

I have been looking at these panels :

JUST Solar 460W Mono PERC

How many would you buy considering the MPPT specs above ?

16 x 460 = 7360W or 14 x 460 = 6440W

What would you guys do ? also, is the panel in the link any good? I live by the sea and most things rust/degrade much quicker here, are there any panels more appropriate for these conditions ?

Or does anyone have other panel recommendations ( I am in Europe) ?

Thanks very much

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Bugger, these seem to be out of stock...
Looking in to 14 x JA Solar 450W bifacials now

JA Solar 450W Bifacial

Anyone has feedback about these ? How does one "spec" for the Rear side of a bifacial ?

Cheers.
Gon

Last edited:
Is this the 133% that I read about when over-paneling ? 5KW x 1.33 = ~6.5KW ?
Yes, it is also referred to as the DC to AC ratio when expressed as a ratio. It is common to see ratios of 1.25 to 1. Under the right circumstances it can lead to clipping of the output such that the typical output plot shows a flat top. Many people see this as a glass half empty mindset when the reality is the extra production earlier in the day and later in the day generally compensates for any clipping of output around Noon. Also in winter or cloudy days when there is no clipping, greater production is generated because a larger array will produce more than a smaller array.

Yes, it is also referred to as the DC to AC ratio when expressed as a ratio. It is common to see ratios of 1.25 to 1. Under the right circumstances it can lead to clipping of the output such that the typical output plot shows a flat top. Many people see this as a glass half empty mindset when the reality is the extra production earlier in the day and later in the day generally compensates for any clipping of output around Noon. Also in winter or cloudy days when there is no clipping, greater production is generated because a larger array will produce more than a smaller array.
When the first major cost was the PV itself, it made sense to maximize production from the panels in every way that you possibly could:
1654198974859.png
Now one basically just gets as many panels to maximize an input over the most time, now it is significantly cheaper to have three times the panels pointing East/South/West (in the Northern Hemisphere) than have a huge tracker.

The amount of solar input an (off-grid or hybrid) inverter can take is only loosely related to its output and varies a lot. That doesn’t have to do with that 133% figure that is quoted.

Generally, since most real world conditions have panels putting out only 50-80% of their rated peak output, you are safe to over-panel up to the max voltage and amperage rating of the input, and it will take what it is actually able to.

6.5kw is the actual rating of the input, and you could put more than that up to the 500V/13A max per MPPT (but it will most likely still only take up to 6.5kw).
I have a 5kW Deye. I have 9 X 365W panels on one of the MPPTs, my question is can I over panel by adding 1 of 365W panel to make it 10 X 365W panel on one of the MPPT, I will still be below the 500V VoC.
Can I over panel above the 3250W Provided I stay below the 500V VoC?

you are safe to over-panel up to the max voltage and amperage rating of the input, and it will take what it is actually able to.
I would just clarify to say that voltage is a hard limit and it is wise to calculate effect of cold weather on raising voltage so leave some margin of error on voltage. Current can exceed the stated limit because the controller will only pull the current it can use, Regardless of load the voltage will be what the cells put out subject to how the MPPT controller adjusts voltage and amps. The the load has very little control over the voltage, which is why the voltage limit needs to be respected and not exceeded.

Last edited:
I would just clarify to say that voltage is a hard limit and it is wise to calculate effect of cold weather on raising voltage so leave some margin of error on voltage. Current can exceed the stated limit because the controller will only pull the current it can use, Regardless of load the voltage will be what the cells put out and the load has very little control over the voltage, which is why the voltage limit needs to be respected and not exceeded.
Thank you

Back