diy solar

diy solar

Over-panelling with my EpEver Tracer

Epever Tracer's manual should tell You the maximum watts from the PV that it can convert to the battery along with the maximum watts the unit can receive before it can be damaged.

Yes 390w is the listed max for the array, or 780w if your battery is 24v instead of 12v. The important thing is to keep the max array voltage below say 85v or so in cold weather (when it will be the highest).

Thanks for the replies. Not entirely sure how to accomplish this Fred but I’m assuming that If I got to 350 I’m fine.

So I am thinking this panel.

LG LG385N2T-A5, 385 Watt Bi-Facial, 72-cell mono-crystalline PV module, silver frame, MC4 connectors

Before I buy it please let me know if it’s appropriate.

Thanks

It looks fine. For future planning, you won't be able to put more of these panels in "series" while using the Epever, only in "parallel". This is not a bad thing, just keep it in mind. Are you going to use your old and the new panel at your cabin? If so, then if you want to keep to 390w, I would simply buy a cheaper 140w (or so) panel and:
- wire it in series with your 250w panel, if you buy a panel with an "Impp" rating about the same as your 250w panel. BUT, the Voc voltage sum for the 2 panels has to be about 85v or less (while using the Epever)
Or
- wire it in parallel with your 250w panel, if your new panel has a "Vmpp" rating about the same as your 250w panel.

If you don't know these ratings for your 250w panel, assume Vmpp=0.75 x Voc, and Impp=0.9 x Isc. Voc and Isc are on the back of the panel, or should be available on the web.

These values don't have to be exact. Nothing will break if you buy, say, a 150w or even a 180w panel for example, or if you parallel or series panels with Vmpp or Impp off by a few percent of each other.

Thanks Fred. I was thinking of buying the new LG 385 and using is solo on my cabin and using the old panels in a future super simple “outhouse project” I’m currently contemplating (just a couple DC lights and a single battery.

Back