diy solar

diy solar

Over-sized lithium bank with small array

Thanks- still very new to this and a lot of what I've learned has been from the Nordkyn articles. Clearly there's a lot more to it than I had interpreted. I will amend my previous post.

EDIT: it seems I can't edit my previous post, maybe I should report myself and get a mod to do it...?

Last edited:
That's not a source. That's yet another citation.

Here's the source:

The testing in which those cells were evaluated included charges to 4.4V, which brings any conclusions into question.

Claiming a "memory effect" is misleading based on the general public's understanding. The "memory" effect as re-defined by that paper is minimal and has negligible implication to this thread or any other application related to the focus of this forum. It doesn't affect capacity. Nor does it affect SoC computations in any meaningful way.

Here's a more accurate presentation of the data:

"Short cycled" (not fully charging between partial or full discharges) LFP cells will experience slight alterations in voltage response which can slightly change prior SoC to voltage correlations. Test data indicate this phenomenon is localized in the charge/discharge curves and occurs almost immediately. There is no evidence this condition accelerates or changes over time. "New" cell voltage response can be obtained by a single charge to full. Once a cell has been short cycled and a SoC to voltage response range is established, there is no data to suggest that this behavior will change over time unless the cells are charged to full thus resetting the original relationship.

Note that I didn't use "memory effect" anywhere in there because there is no memory effect in these cells based on any definition outside of that research paper.

Please do not continue to spread misinformation.
Here is thread from another forum about "memory effect " many get confused and then repeat as gospel.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f166/lfp-memory-effects-thread-219814.html

Thanks- still very new to this and a lot of what I've learned has been from the Nordkyn articles. Clearly there's a lot more to it than I had interpreted. I will amend my previous post.

EDIT: it seems I can't edit my previous post, maybe I should report myself and get a mod to do it...?

I think some mods can edit other's posts. I think I'm "mod light" as I can't. They likely don't trust me with the "big boy" tools. :)

Reporting is always an effective way to address issues with posts.

The article linked from the forum @Sojourner1 provided rang an old bell. I saw THAT article a long time ago before I was so heavily into Lithium, and I didn't make the connection. Fortunately, the last poster in that thread got it right much more succinctly than I did. It all boils back down to how poor voltage is as an indication of SoC. Current counting via a quality battery monitor is key, and those often require periodic re-charge to full to recalibrate 100% UNLESS one's personal "full" at a defined 80% SoC (or whatever) is used as the "full" criterion.

Re-reading my post - may come off a little harsh. That wasn't my intent.

Back