diy solar

diy solar

Overkill 8S, double wire necessary?

corporate.joe

Solar Enthusiast
I'm using Overkill 8S BMS's with the m6 terminals and I'm wondering if it's necessary to use both terminals for each side even though I am using 2AWG copper welding cable to and from the BMS.

Do I need to use four lengths of cable and 4 8 lugs to use this BMS at it's specified rating? Perhaps the terminal surface area of the individual terminals on the BMS is inadequate, therefore double up?

If I were to use all four terminals, would it be kosher on the opposite ends to crimp 2x 2awg wire in a larger lug instead of stacking lugs on a limited length battery stud? Anyone know what gauge lug I would need to combine 2x 2awg wire into?

Thanks

Edit: Added last question.

First 2x 2awg is massive overkill for a bms rated for 100amp continuous.

If your bms has the mechanical lugs on it you could make a little busbar to connect both mechanical lugs to 1x 2awg and still be well over spec on the cable.

If memory serves each terminal is electrically connected to a separate pcb layer.
I don't know but I suspect 100 amps may be too much for a single pcb layer.

@OverkillSolar are you sufficiently out from under to weigh in here?

First 2x 2awg is massive overkill for a bms rated for 100amp continuous.

If your bms has the mechanical lugs on it you could make a little busbar to connect both mechanical lugs to 1x 2awg and still be well over spec on the cable.

If memory serves each terminal is electrically connected to a separate pcb layer.
I don't know but I suspect 100 amps may be too much for a single pcb layer.

@OverkillSolar are you sufficiently out from under to weigh in here?
I really like that bus bar idea I've got tons of the tin plated that came with the cells. I should have a spare 2 per bank. Some of them I already have drilled and tapped in the center(6mm) because I expected 6mm studs on my cells and had already crimped my balance leads with 1/4 inch heat shrink ring terminals. Sigh.

I'm sure I'd still have to trim down those bus bars some. Predrilled holes likely won't line up and reduce size so they don't connect with the heat sink on the BMS. Still like your idea.

Back