diy solar

diy solar

Overkill BMS 100a 16s on Aliexpress/Alibaba?

Choco

Hi, I'm looking for the 16s 100a BMS (with gauge wire) as sold by Over Kill Solar, they all seem to be low rated 60a on Ali?
I know they are are made by JBD, but none match up.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

the alix does NOT include BT module and on/off switch and super duper instructions from overkill, not to mention superfast shipping from our own. All said and done you are not saving much,

Website says the next shipment is expected tomorrow. You're willing to order from China and wait potentially weeks, instead of getting on a backorder list that is scheduled to be fulfilled tomorrow?
I am waiting until tomorrow :)

Let me know what you find out. I also need a 16S for a 48v Outback power inverter feeding a house in Mexico.

I originally got an Overkill 48v 16s (JBD) model a few months ago, I was happy with the packaging and excellent manual, although I was surprised that the manual doesn't explain the order of connections to the unit. It explains how you need to crimp the balance leads, etc but then says, hold off on connecting it now. But if you read through all the other connections and their purposes, it never says when to connect the balance lead connectors. I know from other BMSs to do this after the negative battery connections but still... Anyway, the Overkill 16s BMS worked well and has been good for several months.

I have 2 16s banks, one with Overkill BMS and one with a (supposedly) 400A 16s Ant BMS (based on an old Will Prowse review). And after burning out a couple (my fault) I finally got it to work and it works well, but the bluetooth chip is built into the board, I think is susceptible to more interference and has short range and the ANT BMS software is not as stable or professional. It only works if it is right next to the ANT bms. And the Xioxiang BMS app that controls the JBD / Overkill BMS doesn't seem to be able to work with that ANT model.

Anyway, I saw that JBD is selling direct on Alibaba express for about $75 shipped with the bluetooth. Since it seems Overkill is always back ordered, and Overkill's support (Steve T') is overloaded, (no responses to my emails etc) I ordered the JBD BMS direct, and it just came within a few weeks which was great, and came with 2 x 10AWG pigtail silicone high temp cables soldiered onto each of the the C- and B- terminals. The wires were a bit shorter than the JBD, as well as the BMS balance cables were a LOT shorter. (this is kind of an issue with larger packs, you have to be very creative about routing the balance leads and you can't easily route them to avoid crossing over battery terminals, etc. In a professional installation with a big pack, longer BMS leads are required. The very short B- and C- cables don't leave many mounting options.

After all this, and wired up JBD (non-Overkill) BMS never started up. No lights, no nothing. I think it is dead for some reason. I have a Aliexpress message to the seller, but I'm sure they will just ask me the usual questions, connections etc (which they don't document but I do have the excellent Overkill manual as a reference). If anybody has a suggestion, please let me know, but it's pretty basic. I may connect and test out each lead again, just to be sure.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, if you can get the Overkill, you'll probably be better off. You may save $75 but at least if you get a dud you'll have some recourse. You don't have to crimp the B- C- wires yourself, you can actually return the item without some exorbitant shipping cost, and I have little faith that I would actually get an item replaced if it is 'used'. The minimum shipping USPS is about $30. Not really worth it.

Hi, I'm looking for the 16s 100a BMS (with gauge wire) as sold by Over Kill Solar, they all seem to be low rated 60a on Ali?
I know they are are made by JBD, but none match up.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I just ordered one last night and it's already shipped ! But I realize it's high shipping cost to Australia.

Back