diy solar

diy solar

Overkill BMS Settings w/Inverter

ThatGreenBronco

Letting a friend take my diy 280Ah battery with him on a 1wk trip. I've only used it in my camper on DC items like fans and lights, max discharge is only 16A.

I'd like to set my Overkill BMS to safeguard any craziness that might happen from his camper's inverter, but I can't test it b/c I don't own one.

What would you recommend? Thanks!

I believe the Overkill is limited to 120a. It'll only power a <=1200w inverter under full load. What size inverter does your friend have? Me, I'd be more worried about excessive discharge. I'd set a very conservative (high) low voltage cut-off.

I believe the Overkill is limited to 120a. It'll only power a <=1200w inverter under full load. What size inverter does your friend have? Me, I'd be more worried about excessive discharge. I'd set a very conservative (high) low voltage cut-off.
Depending on the inverter, the LVD should kick in before the LVD kicks in on the BMS. If the LVD of the inverter doesn't kick in because the cells delta is too high, then discharging to the defaults BMS setting of 2.5 volts is not excessively discharging the battery. I don't understand where some are getting the idea discharging to 2.5 volts is excessive or damages a cell?

The only problem with a common port BMS is one has to wait a while for the cells voltage to recover enough so the BMS will allow charging. On mine the under voltage release is set to 2.7 volts and it can take around an hour for my lowest cell to reach 2.7 volts before the BMS will accept a charge.

I'd like to set my Overkill BMS to safeguard any craziness that might happen from his camper's inverter, but I can't test it b/c I don't own one.
What size inverter does your friend have? Have you tested the LVD and HVD of your BMS? I would make sure the BMS is functioning properly and that your friend isn't going to pull more then 120 amps from the BMS. As far as the BMS settings, the default settings should be ok but check all of them.

Depending on the inverter, the LVD should kick in before the LVD kicks in on the BMS. If the LVD of the inverter doesn't kick in because the cells delta is too high, then discharging to the defaults BMS setting of 2.5 volts is not excessively discharging the battery. I don't understand where some are getting the idea discharging to 2.5 volts is excessive or damages a cell?

The only problem with a common port BMS is one has to wait a while for the cells voltage to recover enough so the BMS will allow charging. On mine the under voltage release is set to 2.7 volts and it can take around an hour for my lowest cell to reach 2.7 volts before the BMS will accept a charge.
I never mentioned any specific value. Maybe the OP uses 2.5v, maybe he doesn’t. In my opinion, if you’re going to error, better to error high.

Back