diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Solar BMS “Battery Cycle#”

Smokingem

Hi,

I have constructed LFP battery pack that uses four(4) Overkill BMS each managing eight(8) 280AH cells in 4s2p configuration. Now when I try to write/download a config to the BMS using iOS app, two(2) out of the four (4) refuse to accept the config with an error saying something like “Cycle # must be 0 or smaller”. And I can see “Battery Cycle #” for the two with the error is “5” while the remaining two(2) w/o the error showing “0”.

Can somebody tell me what this “Battery Cycle #” is and how I can work around the error so that I can write/download the config

Thank you.
Ethan

The “Battery Cycle #" shows how many charge/discharge cycles that battery had. Initially it should be 0. Can you set it 0? In a config file it named "CycleCount". I don't have an iPhone so I have no idea how it should be done there.

Hi,
Thank you for your response. The “Battery Cycles” under “BMS infor” is Read-only infor which I don’t seem to be able to modify. The exact error message was shown in the attached. It almost sounds saying that the value must be more than “0” but the ones with error has “Battery Cycles” = 6 vs. the ones w/o shows “0”.

Attachments

• E4A9B70C-05C3-4A82-A553-935A31257DE7.png
    E4A9B70C-05C3-4A82-A553-935A31257DE7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • D5FF05B2-7079-401B-BCFB-C2ACA4590A5A.png
    D5FF05B2-7079-401B-BCFB-C2ACA4590A5A.png
    869.2 KB · Views: 7
The “Battery Cycles” under “BMS infor” is Read-only infor which I don’t seem to be able to modify. The exact error message was shown in the attached.
Is this error before or after using "BMS Read"? If its before, i would not worry about it.
Or maybe try a cycle or two of BMS read and BMS write.

Either way, does it affect the functionality in any way?

Is this error before or after using "BMS Read"? If its before, i would not worry about it.
Or maybe try a cycle or two of BMS read and BMS write.

Either way, does it affect the functionality in any way?
I have tried to read/write cycles a few times with the same result. Since I cannot modify the config which is default to 100 AH, I turned off the pack. Another thing I noticed is that, once I create a config file with a certain parameter set, I don’t seems to be able to edit it even though the interface seems to allow that.

Why? You mean Bluetooth version has some known issues? The other two units seem to be working fine, though.
I thinks it's an iPhone application issue. Overkill BMS has a serial port to communicate with outer world. By default you have a BT module connected to that serial port. You can connect a serial-to USB adapter instead of BT module and use any PC with a USB port to configure your BMS. If your PC has a BT and it can see an Overkill BT module as a serial port - you can use the PC software without serial-to USB module.

I have a MAC, not Windows PC. If they have MAC version, I can try using it on it to see if any differences. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brewmatic,

You were right! It was a software issue.
I deleted the software from my iPhone and reinstalled. Now, the error is gone:)

Thank you very much!!

Ethan

Back