diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Solar vs JBD direct purchase

pinchio

The Overkill Solar (OKS) BMS (4S 120A) is a badged version of the JBD BMS you can find on Aliexpress direct from the JDB store.

Aside from risks I may take to purchase from Aliexpress and the unconditional warranty offered by OKS was there anything else modified in hardware or firmware by OKS that would set the two BMS versions different from each other?

Thanks

Ok, so no change in spec in hardware or firmware. Risks aside, these are identical products.

Thanks for your responses.

Ok, so no change in spec in hardware or firmware. Risks aside, these are identical products.

Thanks for your responses.
I don't see a firmware version to report.
I'm using v3.1.1015 of the android app as supplied by overkill.
Other vendors may be using different versions

No firmware updates are available to consumers. The factory has them, but they won't release them. Once a BMS is sold, that's it.

I'm just the messenger here. No shooting.
shoot.gif

No firmware updates are available to consumers. The factory has them, but they won't release them. Once a BMS is sold, that's it.
Hey, Is there anyway to report on what firmware version you have? Don't recall seeing the Bluetooth app list this?

Any idea how regularly they have updated the firmware?

Thanks

I'm just the messenger here. No shooting.
shoot.gif
Hi @HRTKD this confirms my assumption that the OKS version of the BMS is most likely a rebadged JBD piece of hardware. I'm not going to get into why one should purchase OKS vs direct from JBD, both have their own benefits. Thanks for looking and reporting back.

Hi @HRTKD this confirms my assumption that the OKS version of the BMS is most likely a rebadged JBD piece of hardware. I'm not going to get into why one should purchase OKS vs direct from JBD, both have their own benefits. Thanks for looking and reporting back.
Hi @pinchio Did you order this from JBD? I'm thinking of doing the same due to a significant cost savings ($70CAD shipped to my door in Ontario vs ~$180CAD from Overkill). I'm pretty handy and good at software so I think I can handle it without support from Overkill.

Hi @pinchio Did you order this from JBD? I'm thinking of doing the same due to a significant cost savings ($70CAD shipped to my door in Ontario vs ~$180CAD from Overkill). I'm pretty handy and good at software so I think I can handle it without support from Overkill.
I ordered the JBD and had no issues. Plan for 3-4 weeks for delivery. I pretty much used all of the links/manuals from Over Kill and it worked great.
I did a discharge of ~117 amps for about 30 minutes and the BMS didn't get warm or have any issues at all.

I ordered the JBD and had no issues. Plan for 3-4 weeks for delivery. I pretty much used all of the links/manuals from Over Kill and it worked great.
I did a discharge of ~117 amps for about 30 minutes and the BMS didn't get warm or have any issues at all.
Thanks @smileyman57 - yeah I have some LFP cells coming on a boat from China too so I have some time! Did you try more than 117amp too? Or was that the limit you found? I have a 1500W inverter as my main load and I know its right on the edge of the BMS' 120A limit.

Thanks @smileyman57 - yeah I have some LFP cells coming on a boat from China too so I have some time! Did you try more than 117amp too? Or was that the limit you found? I have a 1500W inverter as my main load and I know its right on the edge of the BMS' 120A limit.
I did not push it higher. I have done two full discharge cycles now on my battery pack and have the BMS to shut off at 11.5v so far it has worked as expected.

Hi.
Did the bms come with the bluetooth dongle, did it come with anything else?

I’m not sure where I got mine, it isn’t an oks, I didn’t use alibaba... but the sense leads were VERY fragile, and 3 of them broke at the connector to the BMS. Make sure you have the leads attached to the connector supported with silicone. Mine were not.
I ended up soldering mine directly to the pin header... not an easy task.

Back