diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Solar vs JBD direct purchase

Hi.
Did the bms come with the bluetooth dongle, did it come with anything else?
Yes it did and it has pretty good range as well. I have had no issues thus far with the BMS. It connects easily with the phone app (Go0gle).

Included in the BMS: bluetooth dongle, 3 10ga wires on each of the sides. You can see the dongle on the left tucked in back 6-8" wire lead to the BMS.

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_232756911.jpg
    PXL_20210415_232756911.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I ended up soldering mine directly to the pin header... not an easy task.
Nice dedication! Got any pics for learning?

The other night as I stayed up contemplating the unreliability of JST-XH plug standard, (everyone’s got something that keeps them awake at night?) and it hit me:

If the BMS B- and C- leads are hard wired, why not also the auxiliary harness? (maybe in-line switch for the top cell positive)

On JBD, it should be relatively feasible to cut away the white housing around the BMS balance harness, and solder 20-22awg stranded wire to each post. Then hot glue that thing for strain relief.

Great idea!!!

Difficult bluetooth connections while charging. State of charge resetting randomly.
My Overkill BMS has the bluetooth issues, they are the exact same hardware as JBD so its expected. Overkill does offer some customization and real costumer support, although he is overwhelmed now so that isn't as good as it was before. Instead of waiting for Overkill restock I bought one from Aliexpress along with some M6 terminals to solder instead of having the wires soldered to the board. No issues with it so far.

Just a heads up regarding OVERKILL CUSTOMER SERVICE, I'm now 15 days with zero response from OKS .

I'm holding an obvious defective BMS and apparently there warranty is not being upheld.

3 emails
Ongoing post on Reddit forum

Zero response.

BEWARE OF OVERKILL .

@mikefitz

BMS set up is pretty intuitive.Not my first.

20 days from first attempt to reach @OverKill
3 emails requests for customer service.
Reddit forum request for customer service.

No response.

Switched out BMS with identical UI from another build and system is up and running flawlessly.

looking like I'm out 120 usd , not the end of the world.

As a DIY er should i have torn down a brand new BMS and attempted to repair a product that i bought due to its stated no questions asked warranty?

Got a real detailed response 21 days later. (It was a pre-purchase inquiry)

It's still better customer support than JBD direct purchase because JBD doesn't respond at all to email and Aliexpress chat.

pandemic is still raging, i feel for people suffering from lead time or crunch delays. people are still literally dying across the world. in some places it’s getting better already.

i am Not Dismissing Your Concern

Got a real detailed response 21 days later. (It was a pre-purchase inquiry)

It's still better customer support than JBD direct purchase because JBD doesn't respond at all to email and Aliexpress chat.
I understand your point of view , but would counter that i paid 50% for my JBD , which is still running flawlessly and all i
am really complaining about is the zero response.
Best

I am having the same problem with support for an 8s 100A LiFePO4 BMS. It seems the BMS they sent to me from OKS is for Li Ion and I am asking for the .fig file for LiFePO4 but no answer. Initially I got a response from Steve with regard to an apparent mislabel of the product. My 8s 100A BMS was labeled 120A 4s 12 v BMS which is wrong. Steve answered my email on this one very quickly using his gmail email address. Then I sent him an email about the parameters on the BMS as it appears to be a BMS for Li Ion batteries and they are shipping these as a BMS for a LiFePO4 BMS. He never responded back and it is day 5 now. So I sent him a private message on OKS reddit group and he responded in an hour telling me to send my problem to the support email. Therefore, he is ignoring the email I sent to what I know is a working gmail address of Steve's and I had to jump thru hoops to PM him on the reddit group. So I sent the gmail email to the support email address he gave me in the reddit PM and I got an autoresponse email which was signed by Steve. Ridiculous. He could have just forwarded my gmail mail addressed to Steve to the support email address. Playing games and wasting a lot of my time. It appears that OKS is just a one man operation - Steve. His return address is a Pack-n-Ship store so he is probably working out of his home and has a regular day job and OKS is his hobby - nothing wrong with that but at least we know what we are up against dealing with him. I believe that Will Prowse is his technical support person. All I need is the .fig file for a 8s 100A LiFePO4 BMS and I am on my way. If anybody can supply me their .fig file for the 8s 100A 24V BMS it will be greatly appreciated.

I am 73 years old and this is just no way to run a business.

Last edited:
How do you order it with the M6 mounting terminals on AliExpress at the link in Post#34? I don't see a way.

Last edited:
@mikefitz

No response.

Switched out BMS with identical UI from another build and system is up and running flawlessly.

As a DIY er should i have torn down a brand new BMS and attempted to repair a product that i bought due to its stated no questions asked warranty?
Purchased with a credit card? If they end up not responding, a chargeback will be swift and painless.

Purchased with a credit card? If they end up not responding, a chargeback will be swift and painless.
Mike, Yes, I did purchase with a credit card but I need the BMS. The problem is he not only marked the BMS with the wrong label but he sent me a BMS for Li Ion batteries. Lucky I hooked up the PC app and saw that or I would have blown up $1400 worth of LiFePO4 280 Ah batteries which I waited forever to get. All he has to do is send me the LiFePO4 .fig file and we are done. JJeeesssshhhhh why is this so complicated?

@mikefitz

No response.

Welcome to the club. This is ridiculous. Looks like if the problem is too hard they just ignore you.

Yes I agree ,this is an unfortunate turn of events.

I had on previous builds bought direct from China on Alibaba and had a positive experience, not much in the way of customer service , but as long as product performance matches the description and specifications, I'm good with that.

On this OVERKILL purchase I decided to pay 2x for a USA seller with a good hypothetical guarantee and I ended up with a DOA unit and zero response and zero guarantee after in excess of a month and many requests.

New JBD unit in from Alibaba installed and working flawlessly

Disappointed in the fact that I received quite a bit of grief on this forum for calling out OVERKILL s shortcomings

Live and learn

Back