diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Solar vs JBD direct purchase

Voltage drop through BMS when load is applied ,producing heat through sensor 1 (Ambient of 19c to 65c in sub 5 minutes @ 10 amp draw)

I eventually removed the unit from service in fear that temp would run away and take the battery pack with it.

Problem was not settings related as several on here thought, new JBD unit was installed with same settings with good results.

Voltage drop through BMS when load is applied ,producing heat through sensor 1 (Ambient of 19c to 65c in sub 5 minutes @ 10 amp draw)

I eventually removed the unit from service in fear that temp would run away and take the battery pack with it.

Problem was not settings related as several on here thought, new JBD unit was installed with same settings with good results.
Would you be willing to sell it so I can expriment with it?

Just a heads up regarding OVERKILL CUSTOMER SERVICE, I'm now 15 days with zero response from OKS .

I'm holding an obvious defective BMS and apparently there warranty is not being upheld.

3 emails
Ongoing post on Reddit forum

Zero response.

BEWARE OF OVERKILL .
Update 30 days no response from @OverkillSolar on request for customer service for a defective BMS

I have purchased JBD from Aliexpress JBD official store. Shipping and packaging was good. Arrived much faster than expected.

Now just waiting for my group buy battery cells so I can test it out.

Like other posts, with shipping to Canada, I can buy 2 JBD for the price of one which is why I took gamble.

Overkill is a small business that has been overwhelmed since Wills YouTube featured them a couple months ago.

I have still purchased a 48v BMS from them in the past week, because 1) I couldn’t even be confident I was finding the equivalent .on aliexpress the way the stores/product listings are so jumbled. 2) I believe their service level will come back as overkill adapts to their new exponential growth, so the warranty will still be there. 3) it’s good to support a “solid reputation” small business active in our community.

We should support a good small business thst has been active “in our community” but I do think it’s fair to point out that a key component of their value add — great customer service / support / warranty — has been poor recently due to the surge in demand after Wills video. Hopefully his small business adapts and returns to its prior level of service, but it is what it is at the time of this post. The back order situation also means it’s not any faster than waiting 4 weeks direct from China.

Overkill should work to address these issues, as well as find additional ways to provide value add (eg schedule a 15 minute DIY plans consult with each customer), in order to justify their premium. That said, 90% of people will see them features on Wills video and order based off of thst (at least for now) because 90%+ people don’t even know it’s rebranded/marginally customized JBD BMS hardware that they can order from Alibaba/aliexpress for half the price.

Shameless plug: I have a 4S 12v and 8S 24V JBD BMS listed in sale section now if anyone is looking. They are brand new and essentislly same price as aliexpress without the China lead time. I’m just selling them to recover my money after I changed my mind & went with a 48V system.

Last edited:

Would you be willing to sell the broken Overkill 8s 24v BMS so I can expriment with it?

I have purchased JBD from Aliexpress JBD official store. Shipping and packaging was good. Arrived much faster than expected.

Now just waiting for my group buy battery cells so I can test it out.

Like other posts, with shipping to Canada, I can buy 2 JBD for the price of one which is why I took gamble.
How do you search JBD store on Aliexpress?

Not an affiliated link so I have no attachments to this link except that I bought this one.

I purchase my BMS from this site.

I just noticed that the 4S-120A models that are same as overkill solar are out of stock also (only 8S and up ) available so I gave link to 150A model.

I bought mine for CDN$82(4S-120AUART) delivered including BMS dongle.

It took 28 days to arrive (Canada).

Have not tested it as still waiting for cells (group buy). It does come with blue tooth adaptor so you don't have to buy it separate like on a different vendor. At the time it was the lowest price and in stock.

Only thing I can guarantee is that I received it, packaged well and to me it was just under half price of Overkill with shipping to Canada.

It was the shipping and exchange rate that turned me away from Overkill. (CDN$200 Overkill vs CDN$82 JBD)

HTH

Back