diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Soldered Threaded connectors vs pre-attached cable leads

If the option had been available at the time I purchased my BMS (and if I knew then what I know now), I would have taken the threaded connectors. Easy decision for me. If you can't make your own cables, maybe you would prefer the soldered wires with ring terminals already installed.

Being able to make your own cables requires a large upfront cost for tools. But the end result is a cleaner install.

I think it also depends on your application. I went with the soldered cables, but I wish I had gone with threaded connections and made my own cables. I'm installing in a van and I'm a little concerned that the solder connection could have issues with vibration where lugged/crimped terminals would offer more flex. Hopefully it will be fine. If I was doing a stationary install, I don't think there is any downside to solder connections, but it's still nice to size your own cables if you have the stuff to do it.

I'd think affording yourself the opportunity add larger gauge cables would be beneficial. They have a video showing that the 14" 8GA cables have the same loss as 7" 10 GA cables. (3 watts or so) I was planning on 8GA cables for a 24volt 8S with 24" cables. I'm thinking that may be more data loss than I want.

The other consideration is
2-8GA cables combined is about 5GA wire

My other battery banks are a minimum of double 2GA wires (it's what I had) for both leads going to the bus bars. With the negative lead coming from the BMS maxed at 5GA (2 8ga wires ) would I then need to limit the positive lead off the battery to the bus bar to 4GA so they match?

It's my feeling those 8GA wires are sized correctly to handle the loads of a 100AMP BMS but it would benefit from larger cables for 24"+. I'd like to use 2GA for the BMS as well as the battery.

Lastly if I bolt on my own cables do I need to use all of the attachment holes or will one per side suffice?

Back