diy solar

diy solar

Overkill worth the premium?

Just received my 2 Overkill units. Incredibly helpful, very well packed including printout of the tests performed, and got here in less than a week - I’m in Canada and was fully prepared for 2-3 weeks. Also included at the bottom of the quick guide in big bold letters, if this unit fails for any reason they’ll replace it. This includes you burning it up for whatever reason, no questions asked.

it was difficult for me to justify twice the cost when compared to a direct buy from China but glad I did and will buy again when I bulk my third pack.

I ordered a 8s 24v BMS from overkill thinking that I will get high quality product, but instead I got a scratched BMS that looks like it has been used before.
I contacted overkill and sent pictures from the BMS with the scratches and also asked them why it doesnt have
quality control receipt.
And they just told me that surface finish is a low priority and that the 8s BMS doesnt have autotester.
I wrote back that Im not happy with what I got sent and since then no more answer from overkill.
So I paid more then double the price that I would have paid, when ordering from china, to get support and warranty and none of those I got. Just a scratched BMS.
So dont believe the lifetime warrany and quality promises.

I ordered a 8s 24v BMS from overkill thinking that I will get high quality product, but instead I got a scratched BMS that looks like it has been used before.
I contacted overkill and sent pictures from the BMS with the scratches and also asked them why it doesnt have
quality control receipt.
And they just told me that surface finish is a low priority and that the 8s BMS doesnt have autotester.
I wrote back that Im not happy with what I got sent and since then no more answer from overkill.
So I paid more then double the price that I would have paid, when ordering from china, to get support and warranty and none of those I got. Just a scratched BMS.
Does the BMS work?
Are you going to display it in a glass or plexiglass case?
Besides a scratch or scratches, what makes you think it is a used BMS?

I'm just trying to figure out what is the big deal over a scratch. It's just a scratch?

quality control receipt.
Seems that @OverkillSolar got swamped after having their BMS featured in a recent @Will Prowse video.
There is an apology at this link https://overkillsolar.com/news/

I'm just trying to figure out what is the big deal over a scratch. It's just a scratch?

Mine came with a big green sticker on it. I was pissed! It clashed so badly with my blue batteries.
hahano.gif

Mine came with a bag of tasty nuts and a beer coozy.? and the Dam BMSs are working just a little too well. ? Why does the BT transmit so dang far?
I’m suspicious of peanuts and keeping my beer cold.? What’s this planet coming to?

Mine came with a bag of tasty nuts and a beer coozy.? and the Dam BMSs are working just a little too well. ?
I’m suspicious of peanuts and keeping my beer cold.? What’s this planet coming to?

LOL! I forgot about the nuts. Mine were some spicy thing, so I had to pass them on to my wife.

Mine came with a bag of tasty nuts and a beer coozy.? and the Dam BMSs are working just a little too well. ? Why does the BT transmit so dang far?
Yeah I have a habit of walking to my kitchen and connecting to the BMS in the camper in the driveway to see what's happening with the battery. I got a coozy but no peanuts. :(

My only wish, and it's not a gripe, is that I could integrate the BMS with my HomeAssistant instance.

What? I didn't get nuts, and I order 2. I did get a beer thingy, but I don't drink beer. Man I got jipped

Wondering, if u have 2 and connect via android BT, how do know which bms Ur connected to? Can u custom name them? Serial numbers?

quality control receipt.
Why don't you post the photos here? And what does it mean the 8S BMS doesn't have an auto tester?

I know the problems with these are rare, but in every case Overkill has sent replacements for defective BMS's that I am aware of. Just because yours has scratches does not mean it's defective. But if the scratches bug you that much I would be surprised if Steve @OverkillSolar would deny you a replacement.

Mine didn't come with a quality control receipt. However it does have QC stickers on the BMS.

once they set the bar theyve gotta commit to that experience. who can blame op for being upset about his experience when he didnt get what he was expecting? (a brand new BMS that matched the other experiences people have been talking about). His unit didnt have QC telltale AND it was scratched. Not sure Id have been happy if i was buying new and thought something used got sent to me...Perhaps its a refurbished unit meant to be used for warranty replacement. doesnt seem acceptable to ship it as a new unit, though. note that this is all speculation. i’m just chiming in because i see people pressuring OP about “its just a scratch”. Does anyone here actually >know< its just a scratch?

Im not worried about the scratches but that it looks that it has been used before and I didnt get a new product which I paid good money for. Will showded in his recent video that the BMS come with quality control receipt, thats why I expected my to come with such as well. So for the people that like to make fun here. I would like to ask if they are fine with buying a new product and getting one that looks like it has been used before? Specially when you pay more then double the price as directly from china.
(For example buying a new phone and the phonecase is scratched. It might have no influence on the funtionality but you cant be sure that you got a new phone.)
I couldnt test the BMS yet, because Im still waiting for my cells to arrive.
I shared my buying experience here after I gave Overkillsolar enough time to answer to my email that I sent them. And yes at the moment they seem to be buisy, which makes it more believable that they have been short on new BMS and they might have sent out a BMS that already been used. Beside of that I would like to say that in our times quality has become an illusion, something that people promise but most of the time cant deliver and that seems to be the case everywhere in the world.
I shared my experience in this post here, because it says "Overkill worth the premium" and it is up to any buyer to decide for themself.

Back