diy solar

diy solar

Overkill worth the premium?

Your right it wasn’t real fair to make light of your concern. I apologize for my part.
I think at this point you should request a return and then order a replacement BMS from overkill. They truly are worth the higher price and Steve is just overwhelmed at this point but I’m sure he will make good for you. It just may take time. If you order from China it will be a lot longer and warranties would take even longer if trouble arises?
Anything coming from China right now is on the slow boat zone and could very well be sitting in limbo out in container ships floating in Cargo hell off the west coast for a bit longer. ?
Just communicate that you would like a replacement and your willing to be patient
Overkill’s quality and assurances are one one the best customer service deals out there. ?it’s past my rack time so ?✌️

Will showded in his recent video that the BMS come with quality control receipt, thats why I expected my to come with such as well.
The QC receipt is included with the 12 volt version and is shown in Will's video. Will never showed a QC receipt accompanying the 8S version when he took it out of the box. And I see only one QC receipt laying on his work bench.

As I said I didn't get one with mine and I also have the 8S version. I am now quite certain what Steve meant by the 8S version doesn't have an auto tester. My BMS does have QC stickers on the BMS. The QC stickers are visible on the BMS displayed on Overkills website. Does your BMS have QC stickers attached to it?

And they just told me that surface finish is a low priority and that the 8s BMS doesnt have autotester.
Probably because he is so overwhelmed he is not concerned about sending out BMS's with scratches on them. If I was in his shoes I would be concerned about getting orders filled as fast as I could. The scratches do not mean it's a refurb and is not brand new.

You will not find a better warranty anywhere else on any product that matches Overkill's warranty. Even if YOU create magic smoke he will refund or replacement for free. Like I said if the scratches bug you that much then ask for a refund or replacement.

I wrote back that Im not happy with what I got sent and since then no more answer from overkill.
If you read the apology on his website then you understand he is buried and that is on account of Will's review.

I shared my experience in this post here, because it says "Overkill worth the premium" and it is up to any buyer to decide for themself.
You are the only one I know of who has complained about Overkill. There might very well be more complaints since he is in an awkward position for the time being. I am confident he will take care of you when he can catch some air.

once they set the bar theyve gotta commit to that experience. who can blame op for being upset about his experience when he didnt get what he was expecting? (a brand new BMS that matched the other experiences people have been talking about). His unit didnt have QC telltale AND it was scratched. Not sure Id have been happy if i was buying new and thought something used got sent to me...Perhaps its a refurbished unit meant to be used for warranty replacement. doesnt seem acceptable to ship it as a new unit, though. note that this is all speculation. i’m just chiming in because i see people pressuring OP about “its just a scratch”. Does anyone here actually >know< its just a scratch?

Er, no I don't know what the problem is with his BMS, but he said it was scratched, and appeared used. Other than a scratch, I'm not sure how it would appear used (maybe crimp connectors in the wires?)

That said, I'm sorry I apparently started a bash the user thread. I was really trying to figure out why he thought it was used, other than a scratch.

Im not worried about the scratches but that it looks that it has been used before and I didnt get a new product which I paid good money for. Will showded in his recent video that the BMS come with quality control receipt, thats why I expected my to come with such as well. So for the people that like to make fun here. I would like to ask if they are fine with buying a new product and getting one that looks like it has been used before? Specially when you pay more then double the price as directly from china.
(For example buying a new phone and the phonecase is scratched. It might have no influence on the funtionality but you cant be sure that you got a new phone.)
I couldnt test the BMS yet, because Im still waiting for my cells to arrive.
I shared my buying experience here after I gave Overkillsolar enough time to answer to my email that I sent them. And yes at the moment they seem to be buisy, which makes it more believable that they have been short on new BMS and they might have sent out a BMS that already been used. Beside of that I would like to say that in our times quality has become an illusion, something that people promise but most of the time cant deliver and that seems to be the case everywhere in the world.
I shared my experience in this post here, because it says "Overkill worth the premium" and it is up to any buyer to decide for themself.
i’ve ordered the 12v the 24v and thre 48v BMS over the last year and ONLY custom 12V ones come with a test receipt. try to keep that in mind

the only ones with a test receipt have been custom no wire 12v BMS

i’m not invalidating your frustration, but Will might have erroneously assumed and communicated or implied that all BMS from overkill come with a test receipt, which is false

Last edited:
also i’m sorry if you dislike the scratches but it’s just a heat spreader...... any external scratches would have to be very extreme to affect the operation of this device which is intended to be packaged inside a device

posting pictures of the scratches would be productive more than airing angry customer feelings

i have no affiliation with overkill but i have not been shipped a single dud and their warranty is very unambiguous

if something is out of stock it’s not reasonable to expect an immediate replacement for a visual blemish on a device that’s explicitly meant to be hidden

again... not bashing.. but no picture just sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:
Im not worried about the scratches but that it looks that it has been used before and I didnt get a new product which I paid good money for.
After having seen some of the photos of the physical conditions that battery cells have arrived in, you may want to prepare yourself...

Beside of that I would like to say that in our times quality has become an illusion, something that people promise but most of the time cant deliver and that seems to be the case everywhere in the world.
this seems really melodramatic and not helpful. this thread feels like it’s bashing Steve for not being Amazon. it’s the pandemic and they are flooded with orders........ the pandemic hasn’t ended yet.......

Overkill Solar has always shipped me good product in the past, and their warranty is unambiguous about failures.

If you experience a failure with their hardware, message Steve and Clearly Request Replacement. He will do right by you as soon as possible. Which might be a little bit right now. The plague is still ravaging Planet Earth, and Steve orders these from China just like anyone else would... of course they are subject to delays.

Anyways, I really hope you have a good experience with the hardware. Overkill Solar is worth the premium to me and it’s OK if it’s not worth it for other people.

This means I had to choose between getting orders out, or keeping up with emails.
Once I sat here for 8 hours just responding to “Where is my order?” emails, the choice was clear.

The dude is working hard. Be nice.

Last edited:
Your right it wasn’t real fair to make light of your concern. I apologize for my part.
I think at this point you should request a return and then order a replacement BMS from overkill. They truly are worth the higher price and Steve is just overwhelmed at this point but I’m sure he will make good for you. It just may take time. If you order from China it will be a lot longer and warranties would take even longer if trouble arises?
Anything coming from China right now is on the slow boat zone and could very well be sitting in limbo out in container ships floating in Cargo hell off the west coast for a bit longer. ?
Just communicate that you would like a replacement and your willing to be patient
Overkill’s quality and assurances are one one the best customer service deals out there. ?it’s past my rack time so ?✌️
Unless you have it shipped via air. I just bought 5x jbd 8s 200amp BMS for a total of 439 shipped via air. I ordered the 6th. They’ve already arrived in the states. There is a UPS tracking number, but it hasn’t gone live yet. I suspect it will soon. I covered the shipping time with Fidelia (my rep at jiabaida) before I ordered. Shouldn’t be more than a max of 16 days from order to my doorstep.

I can just repeat that I posted my experinece here, because it says Overkill worth the premium? And I can say that it is not worth it from what I have experienced. And if you guys had all good experiences then that is great for you and unlucky for me. It is sad how some people react when someone has a different opinion or experience then them. I was about to post pictures but I dont feel like it because now it feels like Im infront of a judge and I have to proof myself. The only one that I have to proof my case is the seller and I sent Steve pictures weeks ago. When someone is selling a product for more then double the price, then they have to deliver the quality that they promise. Thats how I see it. I didnt see pictures of a used looking BMS on the Overkillsolar site or in the video of Will. And I joined this forum to learn and share experinces for others to decide for themselves and not to argue with people that have a "I know better then you" mentality. Like I said before everyone should decide for themselves if the premium is worth it.

i’m not upset that you think it’s not worth it.

really hope you can find the right vendor and product and have a good experience

if i share my positive experience, to maybe show to other visitors, that a negative experience is not guaranteed, is that ok with you?

I can just repeat that I posted my experinece here, because it says Overkill worth the premium? And I can say that it is not worth it from what I have experienced. And if you guys had all good experiences then that is great for you and unlucky for me. It is sad how some people react when someone has a different opinion or experience then them. I was about to post pictures but I dont feel like it because now it feels like Im infront of a judge and I have to proof myself. The only one that I have to proof my case is the seller and I sent Steve pictures weeks ago. When someone is selling a product for more then double the price, then they have to deliver the quality that they promise. Thats how I see it. I didnt see pictures of a used looking BMS on the Overkillsolar site or in the video of Will. And I joined this forum to learn and share experinces for others to decide for themselves and not to argue with people that have a "I know better then you" mentality. Like I said before everyone should decide for themselves if the premium is worth it.
the warranty stands and if you fake post about Steve not honoring their warranty people will become upset with you

i think for t
i’m not upset that you think it’s not worth it.

really hope you can find the right vendor and product and have a good experience

if i share my positive experience, to maybe show to other visitors, that a negative experience is not guaranteed, is that ok with you?
I think for the value they say they provide, it is worth it. though i would expect them to deliver on the value. right now they can’t (understandably). or havent found a way to. im not knocking overkill. i reached out and considered purchasing through them before i ordered these. they didnt have most of what i asked for. it was all on back order. I wasn’t interested in paying them a premium to still wait for a shipment from china.

Last edited:
I wasn’t interested in paying them a premium to still wait for a shipment from china.
AWESOME advice.

Very helpful for those who want a JBD BMS.

In the past, I’ve ordered from Overkill.

In the future, I might order direct from alibaba.

Steve is waiting on a shipment from china anyways... he is a person just every other visitor here

this seems really melodramatic and not helpful. this thread feels like it’s bashing Steve for not being Amazon.

Seems like plenty of people are sticking up for Steve actually. Don’t be so melodramatic ?

Mo G. Can have a contrary opinion which actually might be helpful to someone.

If he needed to be shut down I have confidence the moderators would do so.

I have no dog in this fight other than to note the forum needs to be open to dissenting opinions.

I apologize for being the first "it's just a scratch" response.
You are really entitled to have the opinion that it is not worth the extra (honestly, I am sorry).

If the BMS is in working condition, then you should probably ask for an exchange when he gets more in stock. That way you have a working BMS while waiting on the "slow boat from China".

I’ve never met the guy, maybe he actually does horrible things. I’ve been part of enough “suddenly popular” kickstarter campaigns to recognize a scaling problem.

The dude isn’t ready for this scale, but that doesn’t make them a bad person. It’s not like they are shipping leaky batteries....

The pandemic is still happening and acting entitled to quick replies is unhealthy in my humble opinion. They canceled back orders they couldn’t meet and are working overtime to service the current orders.

Y’all need jesus a non-denominational altruistic role model!

May every reader of this thread find the perfect service and device appropriate to their needs.

Last edited:
I’ve never met the guy, maybe he actually does horrible things. I’ve been part of enough “suddenly popular” kickstarter campaigns to recognize a scaling problem.

The dude isn’t ready for this scale, but that doesn’t make them a bad person. It’s not like they are shipping leaky batteries....

The pandemic is still happening and acting entitled to quick replies is unhealthy in my humble opinion. They canceled back orders they couldn’t meet and are working overtime to service the current orders.

Y’all need jesus!
Lol...I ”like” everything but the “y’all need Jesus” part. ??

exactly what I was thinking but I didn’t want to sit here and analyze. Who knows if Steve‘s reading this cursing or something...(hopefully constructively). Maybe this is just a sort of “passing fancy” for him and the meat of his business is made elsewhere. He might have to take a small cut in the profit margin of these, but I’d be willing to bet he could place some smaller orders by air. Who knows if he’s even dealing directly with jiabaida.

I genuinely feel bad for OP and the dissatisfactory outcome. Spending money on DIY parts is stressful and feeling burned by the chaos of it all hurts and can bring up legitimate feelings of anger and frustration!

Afaik steve decided to focus on attacking the backlog instead of sitting down for 8 hours responding to status inquiries, even though responding would make the people feel better in the short term.

That’s just what they said on the blog post.

Back