diy solar

diy solar

Overlap flexible panels?

Stuffduff

I bought 2x 175w renogy flexible panels, that I wanted to mount lengthwise, side by side, on my high top van using VHB tape, and wired in parallel to the renogy 30a hybrid mppt/dc-dc charger.

Unfortunately, the amount of flex required at the edge of the roof is too much for the panels. I am shy about 4” of width on the roof. I am considering mounting the 2 panels with a small amount of overlap, causing the bottom panel to be obscured along the length of the panel about 2” into the PV array.

I’m assuming I’ll still get more than 50% of the amperage from the obscured panel. I know this isn’t a good idea, but will it generally work?

Thanks!

I,ve got 2 x 200 watt renogy panels. Even slightly covering a small section sees a huge drop in output.

I bought 2x 175w renogy flexible panels, that I wanted to mount lengthwise, side by side, on my high top van using VHB tape, and wired in parallel to the renogy 30a hybrid mppt/dc-dc charger.

Unfortunately, the amount of flex required at the edge of the roof is too much for the panels. I am shy about 4” of width on the roof. I am considering mounting the 2 panels with a small amount of overlap, causing the bottom panel to be obscured along the length of the panel about 2” into the PV array.

I’m assuming I’ll still get more than 50% of the amperage from the obscured panel. I know this isn’t a good idea, but will it generally work?

Thanks!
Since you already have the 2 panels why don't you lay them on the ground and test it and you tell us how much you are loosing :cool:
My bet is you will loose about 75% of the covered panel so only 25% of the performance of the non-covered one.

The covered section may overheat and fail early, well before the 2 year typical life.
If its not too late return the panels and obtain rigid framed conventional panels.

Mike

I had two of the Renogy flex panels de-laminate after 5 years, they refunded the full amount I paid for both, the other 6 are still working like new. I had to buy NOS from some small vendor in Michigan via Walmart to get my exact same panels as replacements. I didn't want to combine my 160w panels with their newer 175w panels. I am not sure what the 2 year reference from the prior post means, but 2 years sounds a bit odd. The 2018 Renogy Flexible s seem very well made. I believe my two panel issues were caused by the Sikaflex 252 not curing in the middle of those two panels allowing it to move in the 65mph wind going down the road over the last 40,000 miles. The others don't seem to have that issue. Its probable one of tubes of Sikaflex was defective causing my panel issues. -Bill

BTW, Renogy has my vote for customer service with respect to refunding my money 5 years later.

Back