diy solar

diy solar

Overvoltage alarms

Dave520

I've tried 3 different inverters using Renogy and Ampretime Lifepo4 batteries, and they all trip the overvoltage alarm when the batteries are charged above ~13.2 volts. The invertors are just cheap ones from walmart and harbor freight.

The recommendations on both batteries are to charge between 14.2-14.6. Is there a list of invertors that will work with that high of a voltage? Even if I set the charge voltage cutoff at 14.2, the inverters still trip

All 3 inverters are fine and don't trip the overvoltage alarm if I only charge the batteries to ~13.0v, but then I'm not fully charging the batteries

Is this just due to most invertors being designed for lead acid? If so, are only programmable invertors truly compatible with lithium batteries?

Welcome to the forum.

I've personally never heard of anything like this. I have cheap MSW in my cars, and they see 14V+ routinely. No alarms.

Most quality 12V PSW inverters operate to 15-16V.

Thank you so much! I bought a different harbor freight invertor (Jupiter) and it's working great at 14.3.

The cheaper harbor freight one (Cen-tech) didn't work above ~13.2 and I tried two of them. Same with the Everstart from Walmart. I also have a Voltworks 1100 watt inverter from Amazon. It's better, but starts tripping the alarm around 13.7 volts.

Thank you so much! I bought a different harbor freight invertor (Jupiter) and it's working great at 14.3.

The cheaper harbor freight one (Cen-tech) didn't work above ~13.2 and I tried two of them. Same with the Everstart from Walmart. I also have a Voltworks 1100 watt inverter from Amazon. It's better, but starts tripping the alarm around 13.7 volts.

One of the cheap MSW in the car has a notable voltage difference compared to reality. It's 0.3V below my meter, and it's directly connected to the battery with no load.

If the voltage reading can be that far off, nothing really surprises me.

Back