diy solar

diy solar

Packaging idea for shipping cells with welded studs

wiseacre

Solar Addict
..directed at domestic vendors packing cells for shipping

I just got a box of cells where the welded posts poked through the box. It was a close call, the tops of the plastic post covers were mangled but thankfully the posts and cells were undamaged. If it wasn't for the excessive amount of bubble wrap around the individual cells and foam lining the box it would have been a sob story indeed.

Thinking about it, I suggested using foam board insulation cut to fit the cell tops with holes for the studs then bubble wrapping as usual.
1 inch might be over doing it but using the foam board would spread any impact over a larger area instead of the small pressure points of the studs.
another piece of board over the group of cells might be overkill.

The insulation foam board is much much less prone to compression than the foam sheets I see being used to line boxes

I feel silly right now, but what is the difference between foam board and foam sheets?

I feel silly right now, but what is the difference between foam board and foam sheets?

By foam board I mean the rigid XPS foam used as insulation that comes in different thicknesses in 4 x 8 foot size.
a 1/2 inch thick foam board at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-TUFF-R-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-3-3-Foam-Insulation-268413/100322369

I'll make a mock up with photos later
EDIT for @HighTechLab
.. a little while later ..

using a scrape piece of 1/2 inch insulation board.
in this case I'd use a double layer or go 1inch because the "posts" go all the way to the top of the foam
The idea is to have the foam take the beating and not have the posts be the "pressure points"
use the bare foam boards unlike my example using the foil backed type

mock cell.jpg
mock cell foam.jpg
mock cell cover.jpg

2 inch foam is a bit excessive
mock cell 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back