diy solar

diy solar

Pairing Growatt AIO with Growatt SCC

Kornbread

Solar Addict
Currently running a Growatt spf6000t, which produced plenty of power during the summer months to keep the shop running, but now the sun has begun its Southward migration, the many nice Oak and Maple trees around the rim of the yard are casting enough shadows the shop's batteries rarely ever see a full charge.

Since the sfp6000t is already maxed with 5k worth of pv panels, the plans are to add a Growatt sc4880 solar charge controller and another 5k worth of panels. In this manner, there is no concern with overpaneling the spf6000t, and enough power should be generated even on consecutive cloudy days, to keep the shop off grid.

My question regards communications between the Growatt spf6000t and Growatt sc4880, while not loosing communication between the Growatt spf6000t and the bank of EG4 batteries.

1) How many have been successful getting reliable communication between a Growatrt AIO and SCC?

2) Was it a simple process? If not, details please.

3) Were you able to keep commication between the Growatt AIO and EG4 batteries?

4) In the above scenario, does one unit act as a master controller and the other unit a slave?
1668647316058.png

Just my 2 cents. I have basically the same setup; coms is not necessary nor any benefit, that I can tell. I have heard of people doing it. But with coms from your batteries and inverter, the inverter will know soc regardless of coms between inverter and scc.

I have that set up with the 12kw inverter. No com, but the issue I have is when using either USER or USE2 that the SC48120 doesn't switch to float voltage when bulk voltage is reached. If bulk is set to 55v and batteries are full voltage just keeps going up until the bms reaches max cell cut off of 3.64v per cell. No current is flowing, but the voltage from the scc does not switch to float. It just keeps going up.

The AIO 12kw's scc is not doing this. It works perfectly.

Just my 2 cents. I have basically the same setup; coms is not necessary nor any benefit, that I can tell. I have heard of people doing it. But with coms from your batteries and inverter, the inverter will know soc regardless of coms between inverter and scc.
You have communication from the battery pack to both the AIO and SCC? Is it an eg4 battery pack or something else? Give me the 411 on the system please.

I have that set up with the 12kw inverter. No com, but the issue I have is when using either USER or USE2 that the SC48120 doesn't switch to float voltage when bulk voltage is reached. If bulk is set to 55v and batteries are full voltage just keeps going up until the bms reaches max cell cut off of 3.64v per cell. No current is flowing, but the voltage from the scc does not switch to float. It just keeps going up.

The AIO 12kw's scc is not doing this. It works perfectly.
This is kind of what I was afraid of and hoping getting both the AIO and SCC communicating with each other and the eg4 batterys, would eliminate. Also, keeping Solar Assistant is a must.

You have communication from the battery pack to both the AIO and SCC? Is it an eg4 battery pack or something else? Give me the 411 on the system please.
I stated "I've heard of it". But no, I don't have com to all three, although I hear, its possable.
While using a growatt, 12k or 8k at least, coms between Inverter and battery (LI) the inverter keeps track of battery soc. When I added a scc (growatt, although it does not matter) I was unsure it would work well without coms, it does flawlessly. I have used the system this way for better than 6 months, with no issues.
I can share more settings if someone is intrested.

I stated "I've heard of it". But no, I don't have com to all three, although I hear, its possable.
While using a growatt, 12k or 8k at least, coms between Inverter and battery (LI) the inverter keeps track of battery soc. When I added a scc (growatt, although it does not matter) I was unsure it would work well without coms, it does flawlessly. I have used the system this way for better than 6 months, with no issues.
Yes, of course, interested.

I don't mean to push people on the advantage of simplafacation and ease of use. But the coms and LI settings does the work. I understand the thinking of the pre-set settings.
As stated on other posts, the calendar degradation FAR out weighs the savings of user settings and eliminates errors of said user and their settings. Although, I respect their opinions, and it's fun to play with our systems. I just don't want to spend the time babysitting my system without valued results.

When I added a scc (growatt, although it does not matter) I was unsure it would work well without coms, it does flawlessly.
So the Growatt SC48120 can be connected to the Growatt 12kw 250vdc inverter and the inverter operate as the master?

Please shares how to do this and settings u are using for charging?

I have 2 diy 16 cell 280ah batteries with Heltec bms so no communication there.

Ok, I think I can get you heading in the right direction but, everyone and every system is different and can react differently.
I perfer to think of it differently. What i mean, it helps me to think of the direction that current is flowing. This can be in both directions on a wire or any gradient there-in.
I'm Not going to get into wire size, fusing, lugs, ext.
Assuming your system is currently working well for you. Hook the new scc to your battery bank. Like, bus bar or somewhere that can handle the extra current, as close to the batteries as possable.
Then find your current charge settings, from your inverter. Such as bulk, change voltage, float, ext.
Use the same charge voltage. Use the same bulk voltage. Set the float voltage a point or two lower (.1 or .2)
This will allow the added scc to be utilized at its max potential but, it will back off at full charge and allow your inverter to finish the batteries off and top them off without the scc fighting with the inverter. No communication's necessary.?
This will get you started and you can adjust as you feel fit, from there.

If you still have issues, lower the bulk voltage by .1 incerments.These settings can be off by a point or two, due to inconsistent voltage readings between the scc and aio. Same may apply with float. It is common for inverters to read slightly high.

Back