diy solar

diy solar

Panel angle?

BIGFOOT

Here comes the sun....
What do you use to set your panels at the correct angle? I have a basic protractor, miter gauge and an APP.
Just wondering what you may use.

What do you use to set your panels at the correct angle? I have a basic protractor, miter gauge and an APP.
Just wondering what you may use.
My iPhone level tool that came on it. Verified accuracy, it’s close enough and always in my left front pocket.

53 deg for me at 38 deg latitude. Best for running my 3 heat pumps in the winter. Still need to install water heater hp and dryer hp.

My iPhone level tool that came on it. Verified accuracy, it’s close enough and always in my left front pocket.

53 deg for me at 38 deg latitude. Best for running my 3 heat pumps in the winter. Still need to install water heater hp and dryer hp.
Do you adjust your panels for the seasonal changes or just kind of in between?

I live near Spokane Wa which is at 47 degrees and run my panels at 54 degrees all year long. Yes, I suffer some in the summer but with fixed panels it more than makes up for it due to our long winters. As for my solar well it is pole mounted so I can rotate and adjust angle all the time for longer irrigation.

You can get this on Android too. Remarkably accurate as well.

I used a level and a plastic protractor to see the angle of my ground mount. :)

Unfortunately - there are many cases where the angle is coerced by external factors. For example, my roof panels are aprox 25% because that's the roof angle. And my ground mount was limited so it didn't stick up as an eye sore to the neighbors - e.g. to avoid complaints to the city.

The good news is that a few degrees one way or the other is not fatal - panels can make good power anyway and if you have room, you can add a couple more to make up the deficit :)

My panels are mounted with a triangular mount made by Eco-Worthy. I was initially appalled at the cost, but after checking the price of dexion, I discovered the cost wasn't bad. At any rate, when installing the mount, I made sure the lower part of the triangle was level, then I use a few simple calculations to determine the length of the angle that props up the panel. And, of course, Google makes it even easier by providing a calculator. I had to replace one of Eco-Worthy's angle sides, because it was simply too short. I used mild steel instead of aluminum -- much, much cheaper. I drilled two holes in each piece of angle; one for winter and one for summer. I am at lattitude 46N, so my winter setting is 20 degrees and my summer setting is 37 degrees. Below is my winter setting.

winter.jpg

My panels are mounted with a triangular mount made by Eco-Worthy. I was initially appalled at the cost, but after checking the price of dexion, I discovered the cost wasn't bad. At any rate, when installing the mount, I made sure the lower part of the triangle was level, then I use a few simple calculations to determine the length of the angle that props up the panel. And, of course, Google makes it even easier by providing a calculator. I had to replace one of Eco-Worthy's angle sides, because it was simply too short. I used mild steel instead of aluminum -- much, much cheaper. I drilled two holes in each piece of angle; one for winter and one for summer. I am at lattitude 46N, so my winter setting is 20 degrees and my summer setting is 37 degrees. Below is my winter setting.

View attachment 69080
Are you sure that is 20 degrees looks more like 50 to 60 degrees. Because 20 degrees would be near flat. How high off the ground are you. Where I live I have to be close to the ground due to high winds in the area.

Are you in Australia? That would explain why its backwards. :) I'm 20 degrees from vertical -- 70 degrees from horizontal. Its just how you look at it.

I also wonder how mine will hold up in wind. All the pine trees should break up the wind, but still, it could get strong. The posts holding the angle iron horizontal cross beams are nothing but common fencing t-posts, but they are each driven 4' into the ground through tree roots and rocks. They aren't coming out. They will have to bend in order to drop my panels on the ground. I don't think that's going to happen. I elevated them off the ground due to snow and bears.

I use the old soda can method! lol, I go out at close to solar noon about once a month or two, and adjust the panels until the shadow of the soda can is hidden around itself. This ensures perfect lineup with the sun, and no math required!

Back