diy solar

diy solar

Panel array and wire gauge for lv2424

CyleBruce

I’m a noob and need some assistance with wiring my array for my lv2424 specs on panels are 360watt 39.6vmp imp 9.10 open circuit voltage 47v max series fuse rating 30amp . Am I able to wire 2s2p and if so do I need a combiner box and to jump down to 8 or 6 gauge wire or can I run 2 separate 10 gauge leads straight to the lv2424 ? Any help is greatly appreciated

I like a combiner box as I feel it makes for a clean set.
2s config 47v x 2 = 94v max
2s config 9.10 a x 2 = still 9.1 amps (updated)
2 p config 9.1 x 2 = 18.2 amps (updated)
calculate wire size based on amps and distance

Last edited:
Thanks for the info , my array will be no more than 20ft away from the charge controller. I guess I may have wasted some money then as I just bought mc4 branch connectors to run 2s2p but this seems like it will be not sufficient enough to handle all 1440 watts. I thought I had it all figured out but looks like I may need a combiner box and go from 10 gauge to 6 gauge

I’m a noob and need some assistance with wiring my array for my lv2424 specs on panels are 360watt 39.6vmp imp 9.10 open circuit voltage 47v max series fuse rating 30amp . Am I able to wire 2s2p and if so do I need a combiner box and to jump down to 8 or 6 gauge wire or can I run 2 separate 10 gauge leads straight to the lv2424 ? Any help is greatly appreciated
The 2S will have amps at 9.1 (amps stay the same in series, voltage doubles). The 2P will just double the amps.
Use photovoltaic 10 gauge wire, it will handle 30 amps just fine. You do want to use UL 4703 Cable. You can connect the 2S together (in a 2P) with the common Y adapters and run a single 10 gauge wire to your all in one. The 2S stays in the correct voltage range, and the 18+ amps from 2P is easily carried by the 10 gauge wire.

Last edited:
So I can still go 2s2p with 10 gauge without stepping down to 8 gauge after I parallel the 4 panels ? Or should I run two separate 10 gauge cables off the series connections. As in series connect to panels and series connect two more then run separate 10 gauge off each set of 2 ? Sorry very new to this

So I can still go 2s2p with 10 gauge without stepping down to 8 gauge after I parallel the 4 panels ? Or should I run two separate 10 gauge cables off the series connections. As in series connect to panels and series connect two more then run separate 10 gauge off each set of 2 ? Sorry very new to this
If you have 2 panels in series, and then parallel 2 of those series sets, yes.

2S = 94v at 9.1 amps (well below the 150v max of your all in one)
2P = 18.2 amps (well within the amp capacity rating of 10 gauge)

94v at 18.2 amps is what I come up with. Working voltage will be closer to 80v at 18 amps.

You could probably max things out with an additional 2 panels (3 sets of series panels in parallel = 94v at 27.3 amps).

Last edited:

94v at 18.2 amps is what I come up with. Working voltage will be closer to 80v at 18 amps.

You could probably max things out with an additional 2 panels (3 sets of series panels in parallel = 94v at 27.3 amps).

oh wow I wasn’t sure about mixing panels either I have 4 100 watt panels and 2 380 watt panels but was scared about mixing them

oh wow I wasn’t sure about mixing panels either I have 4 100 watt panels and 2 380 watt panels but was scared about mixing them

Mixing panels is difficult. I'm not the person to advise you about that except to say that I would not advise it.

You've got to match voltages in strings, and that's more difficult. You could buy another solar charge controller, there is not problem with having two charge controller as long as charge voltages are set the same, and you don't put in more current than the cells/BMS can handle.

This should probably be in a separate post but why am I not able to see my pv input in wattage only voltage ? I see in will prowse’s videos that he can see the solar array input wattage so far all I can find is my input pv voltage which is hovering around 78v with 4 340watt panels in 2s2p configuration

Back