diy solar

diy solar

Panel Brands from the same factory?

Stewfish

I was told to check out these guys and saw the deals with the brands below I don't know. I have heard of Renology, Canadian Solar, and big brands consumer electric brands we all grew up with.

I saw Santan Solar sells residential used panels by - "Typical brands are Canadian Solar, Trina, Yingli, REC and Qcell."

So those must be legit Brands if they are willing to sell them.

This company is selling:
Sunali, REC, Vsun, Csun, GCL, Yingly, Seraphim, Renesola, Soluxtec

So I've done a lot of research and thanks to the many people here have helped me with my noob questions. I have my inverter, controllers, my batteries coming, I have capacity testers, bench chargers for testing, etc and I getting really close to getting this project going.

Original plan:
My original goal was to get used sun solar (or was it sun power) residential panels that were 250 watt. Mynunderstamding was that 250w or 255w 30vis the most common. I figure stick with 250w (pmax 30v or is it 37v openV everyone goes by) if a majority of the residential panels are that and then they will all be around the same specs. We will be driving from FL to OR in April and could pick them up, but maybe these are a good deal to pick up here in FL. See link below. I was told to look at this company since I am currently traveling and in FL. I see a lot of brands that I don't know. However I have a feeling quite a few are made at the same plant and just rebranded and you aren't paying for the marketing costs. I don't know anything about brands other than I know there's Canadian Solar, Renology, and the major electronic brands, and UL listed used ones from a military base or residential upgrades would probably be solid also. I'm close to these guys and could drive and pick up the panels, so that is a big plus for me. Also I'm seeing .30 to .40 cents or even less per watt for the panels. I know I do want polycrystaline, but if the price is a huge difference, mono will work in our desert.

So I guess I'm wondering where to start my research about the brands, what brands to stay away from, and any other tidbits. I no polyC is way better.

My system:
48v inverters, ground mount to stay cooler and easier for me to do, at least 40 panels at 250 Watts about 10kw minimum. String them in 5s x 38v =190v x 1.2 cold factor of high desert = 228v to get close to the controllers' max 250v PV input, midnight solar combiner boxes/kill switches. So it will be 5s4p layout to both controllers. I will probably go up on the number of panels depending on cost/deals, if buying an extra pallet helps a bunch, and then what the wife will let me spend. I also plan to have a smaller system for a container workshed that will eventually turn into a small cabin so planning now is wise if buying another pallet helps. I have an enclosed trailer that can carry 4500 lbs. My 5th wheel can carry some, and my friend can Carry some in his 5th wheel. Anyway enough rambling, pardon my voice to text, here is the link to the best deals page.

Last edited:
I saw this thread for future reference. I'll keep adding links and such info, maybe it will be a good sticky thread one day.

Just a thought. I bought 42 300 watt panels from tartan this spring and the shipping to a fright terminal was $250. Your extra fuel costs and hassle factor may approach this amount anyway. The other thing to consider is the cost and room available and how easy it is to DIY. I chose 60 cell panels because they were a little higher efficiency and only weigh 40 lbs instead of 50 or 60 lbs and 65 inches instead of 77 inches in length and were much easier for me to handle by myself.

Thanks for the info, I will be watching to see what you do and how it goes for you. This is an exciting time!

Back