diy solar

diy solar

Panel calculations

Jchance

Hello,

I am new to solar. I’ve been doing a lot of research and want to make sure I’m doing this correctly.

I just purchased a power station/solar generator for my RV which has a specific specs for panels; 300w max, 30-40V range and 10amps. I found a great flex panel that’s reasonably priced in my budget, (I don’t want to drill in to my roof that’s why I’m using flexible), They are 50watts, 17.6Volts and 2.80Amps each. If I were to run 3 pairs, each pair in series, then connect the 3 strings in parallel, will this be ok?, If I did the math correctly?;
17.6V x 2=35.2V
2.80A x 3=8.4A
50W x 6=300W

A side note, I decided to go with a solar gen instead of a full install for a few reasons; we plan on selling the RV within 2 years, we wanted a portable backup system that we can use at home in an emergency and the price was right!

Thank you for any assistance you can render. Ok

Hello,

I am new to solar. I’ve been doing a lot of research and want to make sure I’m doing this correctly.

I just purchased a power station/solar generator for my RV which has a specific specs for panels; 300w max, 30-40V range and 10amps. I found a great flex panel that’s reasonably priced in my budget, (I don’t want to drill in to my roof that’s why I’m using flexible), They are 50watts, 17.6Volts and 2.80Amps each. If I were to run 3 pairs, each pair in series, then connect the 3 strings in parallel, will this be ok?, If I did the math correctly?;
17.6V x 2=35.2V
2.80A x 3=8.4A
50W x 6=300W

A side note, I decided to go with a solar gen instead of a full install for a few reasons; we plan on selling the RV within 2 years, we wanted a portable backup system that we can use at home in an emergency and the price was right!

Thank you for any assistance you can render. Ok
Where are you buying the 50w flex panels from or did you already buy them?
Website or sales link?
I find it odd that you do not mention the brand and model of solar generator.

I’m also trying to figure out the best and proper location to fuse the panels;

1.Fuse them after the wiring exits my cable entry gland in my dry storage, before the solar gen?

2. Or Should each string have its own fuse?

3. Or Fuse the main line before it enters my cable gland on my roof?

For any of the above scenarios, what size fuse would I need respectively?

Charging will be done at home, then used one night if camping with no hookups, then recharge from my onboard generator and or at next full hookup site. We don’t ever totally boondock at all usually full hookups or no sewer. Wife’s not comfortable without power.

My dad passed away out west. and I couldn’t be there because of covid. We are making the trek out there after his wife gets vaccinated. I needed a solution in case we can’t book full hookup campsites traveling from East to West coast. I have to pickup some affects he left me.
I was thinking if we use this power supply often I would add solar to my roof. It will also serve other purposes at my home when needed.we also might sell our rig within 2 years.

I did some auditing of our daily usages and we use around 200AH with no AC. And I do know this will not run my AC. I also realize it’s has a very slow charge rate, I needed it for the 3034 WH.

I didn’t want to fill up this thread with a lot of reading and writing. I was just looking for advice in a pinch to see if I did the math for the solar panels correctly.

thank you

Back