diy solar

diy solar

Panel compatibility

annamariaslim

Hi, bought a Renogy 200w suitcase set and have Bluetti EB 150 coming. Mainly bought it for portability in case father in law's power goes out here in Florida. Thinking about getting a HQST 400w kit for my house . Would it be difficult to add the HQST panels to the suitcase? Probably ground mount everything to be semi portable. Is this doable? TIA

The first thing to look for when sizing panels to a device is the Maximum PV Input Voltage. You never want to exceed this value. This is a specification you find in your Bluetti owner's manual.

Most devices will specify nominal PV watts. This is a target, but not a hard number. You can over panel and exceed the PV watts, as long as you don't exceed the Maximum PV Input Voltage.

Max input is 500w, 10 amps

Hmm, yes that's what Bluetti has in their specs. But it isn't the critical number that tells us the maximum PV input volts. We can do the math of 500 watts / 10 amps to maybe get 50 volts. But that's not a sure thing. I wouldn't count on that.

Your HQST kit comes with a 30 amp PWM controller, which may be redundant if you were planning to plug the panels directly into the Bluetti. It looks like the controller in the kit would exceed the maximum amp input on the Bluetti.

I could be wrong but it doesn't look like that Bluetti device is expecting as much charge as the HQST kit could produce. If you didn't use the PWM controller, you can't wire the panels in parallel because two panels in parallel would put you over the max amp input of the Bluetti.

I don't have one of these devices and I'm not familiar with it other than what I see in their specs. Maybe someone that has one will pipe in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Bluetti's Technical Specs
Input:AC Charging/PV Input Port: 7.9*0.9mm DC

42V/160W, OCV 16V~68V /MAX.10A

PV Max Input Power MAX.500W./10A

This is what is in the user manual

PVInput Voltage Range 16-60Vdc(OVP 73V±2V)

Back