diy solar

diy solar

Panel, inverter and charge controller installation with panel supply priority

Cuteajax

I want to install a Midnite solar 150 charge controller with six units of 300 watts solar panels and connect them to my Outback VFX 3000W 24V inverter. My house is connected to the grid. However I want to give my energy production higher priority over the grid in order to recoup value from my installation. I want to configure it such that I can get electric power into the home directly from the panel while the excess is charging the batteries through the charge controller. The power should only come from the batteries to augment the output of the panels only when the home load requirements exceeds what the panel can produce. Also at night, I desire to run off the batteries instead of grid electricity but want to retain the option to select source. My question is can this be programmed on the inverter and charge controller or do I have to build a separate electrical control panel to implement this?

Simplest: a 5000W solar transfer switch wired to a sub panel with your ghost and regular demand loads run through the sub.
very simple, and only a few hundred bucks or so to implement. That is my favorite ‘guerrilla grid tie’ as it beats the power companies at their games. :)
There’s other ways but they cost more money. Will has a vid on this.

Simplest: a 5000W solar transfer switch wired to a sub panel with your ghost and regular demand loads run through the sub.
very simple, and only a few hundred bucks or so to implement. That is my favorite ‘guerrilla grid tie’ as it beats the power companies at their games. :)
There’s other ways but they cost more money. Will has a vid on this.
Thanks. Can you share the link for the video you mentioned?

YouTube- search solar transfer switch. You’ll get a bunch of stupidity and three useful videos, one of which is DIYsolar with Will

Back