diy solar

diy solar

Panel power production/tracking

Jgb3

How does everyone keep track of how much power they produce? I have a shunt but that just tells me power in and out of the battery not power produced. I guess what I’m looking for is something for the dc in from the panels to monitor that.

Victron has robust data logging in the Cerbo GX product which will talk to the solar charge controller(s) as well as the shunt.

My Sunny Boys display kWh since start of the day and since the beginning of time.
I recently connected an SMA Web Box (obsolete) to the RS-485 connecting my inverters. That logs to an SD card and can be connected by ethernet to a PC.
They have newer products to do same thing.

I recently got a DC clamp ammeter from Harbor Freight. Doesn't show energy, but instantaneous current per string is useful to see if all are performing similarly.

I have a growatt inverter and they have the WiFi but I don’t have WiFi where it is not to mention they want me to register it and I have to turn on location services. Why do they need all my info and my location so I can monitor my system? I’m trying to see what I need to plug my laptop into it so we will see. Not sure why it needs to be so difficult why not just have an app and Bluetooth like my shunt

If youre into DIY and want to try some programming, make the raspberry Pi monitoring setup mentioned in this forum. Huge amount of detail if you want it, and very customisable and relatively cheap.

Victron has robust data logging in the Cerbo GX product which will talk to the solar charge controller(s) as well as the shunt.
I just bought the Cerbo GX - judging from the demo program (I don't yet have the required VE.Direct cables) the data displayed is pretty basic. Nowhere near the minute by minute data graph I can see using the Bluetooth connection direct to the Victron device. Am I missing something? All I want is to be able to see the same data I get via bluetooth over the local LAN or remotely.

Back