diy solar

diy solar

Panel shipping is hard, apparently!

Yeah I've had this so many times. Lost twenty panels in my last shipment of bifacials. Even if you ship them properly, they can be completely destroyed.

A crackhead on a forklift, has no limits to the amount of destruction that can be done.

Does the carrier have to pay for the damage in the end? Just wondering why there would be such a lack of concern to properly handle these if the carrier has to pay for this negligent damage.

Larger, lighter panels....isn't that what the consumer wants?

There seems to be a dissociation from reality of transporting panels considering they are just large framed panes of fragile glass. For used give me the 180/240W any day that i can carry home flat on top of each other in my box trailer.

I've had the same happen (2 panels), but the panels never arrived, the shipping company returned them to the supplier without ever contacting me.

BTW, do you have to get rid of the the broken panels yourself since it is hard to dispose them locally?

BTW, do you have to get rid of the the broken panels yourself since it is hard to dispose them locally?
I'm going to try and repair mine.
They're still putting out the rated power.
Just can't be out in the weather, with shattered glass.
Since I was refunded for them, they are free. And I just can't see throwing them away.

Does the carrier have to pay for the damage in the end? Just wondering why there would be such a lack of concern to properly handle these if the carrier has to pay for this negligent damage.
that is generally how it goes.

I'm going to try and repair mine.
They're still putting out the rated power.
Just can't be out in the weather, with shattered glass.
Since I was refunded for them, they are free. And I just can't see throwing them away.
Are you able to remove all the glass off of it? Maybe a new tempered glass sheet would work?

Are you able to remove all the glass off of it? Maybe a new tempered glass sheet would work?
No
Impossible to remove the existing glass. The cells are adhered to the glass. I'm going to use a product that is made to seal the surface from weather.

I gotta chime in here from a shipping perspective - it's a nightmare. I'll share a pic of what Signature Solar does when they ship panels:
Image_20220518_115906.jpeg
Image_20220519_153255.jpeg

Signature Solar goes so far out of it's way to make it clear exactly what to do, what equipment to use to move these, that they are extremely fragile, that they can't have stuff stacked on top of them - and they still get pictures back from customers like yours. Unfortunately its extremely hard for SS to make headway with shipping companies after a delivery is accepted because they typically only want to pay a portion of what they damaged was worth. In fact, more often than not, they see claims denied and then have to go through a long process that takes weeks and time (which costs more money) to get it resolved. When the shipping company approves a claim, the process is fast and seamless. When they don't approve the claim, it takes a ton of time and is a headache for everyone, including the customer (which often ends up with them having a bad impression of SS at no fault of SS's). It's a nutty industry right now, tons of turnover, hiring unqualified people, and even still prices are skyrocketing.

I gotta chime in here from a shipping perspective - it's a nightmare. I'll share a pic of what Signature Solar does when they ship panels:
View attachment 95341
View attachment 95342

Signature Solar goes so far out of it's way to make it clear exactly what to do, what equipment to use to move these, that they are extremely fragile, that they can't have stuff stacked on top of them - and they still get pictures back from customers like yours. Unfortunately its extremely hard for SS to make headway with shipping companies after a delivery is accepted because they typically only want to pay a portion of what they damaged was worth. In fact, more often than not, they see claims denied and then have to go through a long process that takes weeks and time (which costs more money) to get it resolved. When the shipping company approves a claim, the process is fast and seamless. When they don't approve the claim, it takes a ton of time and is a headache for everyone, including the customer (which often ends up with them having a bad impression of SS at no fault of SS's). It's a nutty industry right now, tons of turnover, hiring unqualified people, and even still prices are skyrocketing.
All that you can do is give it the best chance of success. And hope that some idiot doesn't ruin everyone's day.

No
Impossible to remove the existing glass. The cells are adhered to the glass. I'm going to use a product that is made to seal the surface from weather.

I'm going to maybe try and do something similar, if I don't have to send them back.

Not that I'm trying to score free stuff here; but sending them back just seems like a waste of time and money for everyone. Nobody is going to want to buy them, and shipping them again isn't going to improve their condition.

So, if I end up keeping them, I'll try and salvage what I can - or play around with trying to strip parts for random DIY tinker projects that will inevitably fail. In the meantime, I have plenty of land on which to store them, and we get a dumpster every few years anyway to clean out our houses, so I can dispose of them later as necessary.

Chiming in here to say @RichardfromEG4 with Signature Solar packaging was great! Sadly even with the great packing it doesn't stop a forklift blade.

1654278947506.png
1654278991864.png

I am sure its super frustrating from your guys end. Maybe send us an invoice directly to pay for the shipping as a different charge that way we can do a chargeback to the shipping company :p

This would fix the problem of rough handling of PV panels:
View attachment 95271
Sure with 3 X more for transportation with hazardous cargo on the trailer. If money is not the issue i can hook you with truck drivers that will take it as hazardous material and deliver to you with expensive premium.

Back