diy solar

diy solar

Panel shock absorption

erik.calco

Solar Badger
Is anyone using any method for shock absorption?

I've been thinking long and hard on why two chairs on my patio never get knocked down by the wind. One obvious answer is they are heavier than the others. But, they also have a round bottom instead of four feet and... shock absorption due to a tilt mechanism that basically acts like a spring to always return it to its upright position. It is very strong even with a 200 lb person sitting on it rocking the chair.

The theory is that having some absorption reduces the impact of the wind by converting some of its energy and storing it in the springs, which will then return it to put the chair back into position. I've been wondering of such a thing makes sense for panels to help them hold up to stronger winds and reducing the transference on other places that ultimately leads to problems.

Is anyone using any method for shock absorption?

I've been thinking long and hard on why two chairs on my patio never get knocked down by the wind. One obvious answer is they are heavier than the others. But, they also have a round bottom instead of four feet and... shock absorption due to a tilt mechanism that basically acts like a spring to always return it to its upright position. It is very strong even with a 200 lb person sitting on it rocking the chair.

The theory is that having some absorption reduces the impact of the wind by converting some of its energy and storing it in the springs, which will then return it to put the chair back into position. I've been wondering of such a thing makes sense for panels to help them hold up to stronger winds and reducing the transference on other places that ultimately leads to problems.

I'm curious to explore this idea more. I have been thinking about the issue of shock absorption and vibration dampening as well. I am designing a mobile system that will see a good amount of rough road and overland duty so I'm quite concerned about the short and long term affects of vibration, shock, and potentially torsion on both the panels and the lifepo4 cells.

I am brainstorming on ways to isolate the battery bank to some degree and let it 'float' semi-independently of the chassis or at the least using some sort of rubber or spring mounts to reduce vibration and reduce the magnitude of shocks. Regarding the panels soft mounts of some type might help but it might make sense to reinforce the frames if you are going to not rigidly mount the panels.

Back